Generally Confused about Reusing Yeast and The World

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherbhy

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I'm trying to use yeast that I washed way back on Dec. 12 of 2013.

According to Mr. Malty, my yeast is only 10% viable.

I have only 14 ML of yeast in the pint jar.

SO here's my question: how big should my starter be for 1 gallon of 1.077 wort? Process: intermittent shaking.

Thanks in advance.

I dont get into yeast cells counts but I'd probably just do like 400ml or so. It may take a while to get going so start it maybe 4 days out. But once it ferments mostly through, you should have about the same number of yeast cells as a 400ml or fresh yeast I would think...

yeah good idea on tasting or at least giving it a good smell. If things seem normal, they probably are

start out with half liter starter with an sg of 1.010. the weak starter will be less stress on the yeast. after this first step you can move up to a 1 liter starter of 1.036.
this starter/pitch rate calculator will help out with the weight of dme to use in the steps.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

use the default numbers in part one. starter volume and dme weight will be in part two. part two may be confusing at first. play with different numbers to see how the calculator works.

Thanks everyone, I think that I am just going to make like an 800 ml starter of low gravity wort and then see where that takes me... so long as i open the jar and everything smells OK.

Unless it is an irreplaceable strain of yeast, I would just get a new pack/vial. As you know the viability is super low, there may be more mutation and if there is anything else in there it will have a good opportunity to make a potentially undesirable impact on the final beer (not to mention the potential to pick something in all of the steps that would be needed to get this yeast to the pitch size you want).

Latest posts

Back