General Partial Mash Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blugrazz

Reaction score
This might be stupid but here I go. Is there any reason why you should not mash one day and boil the next? I have only partially mashed once before so I running through the steps in my head and can't think of any reason considering a boil is to follow regardless of the day.

Every brew day is getting hijacked by some other activities lately.

I dont see why not, the only thing i can think of is its one less day fresher than it could be which is probably insignificant.Makes me wonder why lme is thick and syrupy but when we extract from grains its just sugar water.

The main trouble is lactobacillus - which is pretty much present on any grain you have. Leaving the mash sit for an extended period will open you up to the possibility of having a tart/sour taste in your beer -even if you boil it the next day. Search up on how a "no boil" berliner weisse is made if you want to get an idea of what's going on. If the temperature of your mash stays high enough the entire time, you can keep the lactobacillus at bay for a while.

The second trouble you might have is a very fermentable wort -leading to a dry beer with a low FG. The mash enzymes will convert everything they have time to chew on - and you're giving them lots of extra time. Most people do a mash out at a higher temperature that will denature enzymes - in order to keep some "body" in the beer with a more dextrinous wort. Since you're doing a partial mash, maybe that isn't much of an issue, because the majority of your wort will be comprised of extract.

That said, some people do what you're talking about & seem to be happy with it. Give it a try if you want - it's your beer.

Back