Gelatin in conical ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SYoung1970

Reaction score
Has anyone used gelatin in a conical ? I have a amber ale in my conical o.g.1.050 . Checked f.g. was 1.010 . After 7 days . Here's the problem has been a weird batch the yeast won't drop . Got beer out of the bottom valve , basically no trub . Racking arm is straight up , when I pulled the sample for the f.g., there was so much crud in suspension , I had to wait 15 minutes to get a reading . I had a previous post about a problem with the wort not fermenting correctly .

I have used gelatin in my conical several times, but only when the beer was under 40 degrees or so. Gelatin works best in cold liquid.

Can you cold crash and/or wait another 7 days? Were you using a low or medium flocc yeast strain? Depending on the ale yeast strain, you may want to give it a second week at your primary fermentation temp or a few degrees warmer to both clear out and burn off any diacetyl.

I tried gelatin on my last batch in my conical at 50 degrees. It worked great. I was very nervous that it would clog the dump valve or the racking valve. It didn't. But, just in case, I rotated the racking arm before hand so it was pointing down. When I kegged the beer, I was amazed how clear it was.

Thanks for the response , I used us-05 .Pitched around 74 degrees . I have maybe 10 batches of all grain under my belt. My beer room stays around 68 . I do not have a fermentation chamber yet. I can wait , just don't want to LOL .

US-05 is a slow flocc'r but will drop out given time and cooler temps. You may be best served using gelatin in the keg, if you have a keg setup.

I don't keg yet . Hate to bottle . What would be a good yeast, to get in be done fairly quickly. I will definitely expand to a yeast starter next time I brew.

For American ales, I usually use Danstar BRY97 West Coast. Flocc's better and faster than US-05/WY1056 in my experience and doesn't produce a lot of fruity esters below 68. It really lets the hops shine. BRY97 seems to attenuate better than US-05, so consider mashing a few degrees higher.

Back