Gelatin for fining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamursch

Reaction score
Question. I kegged a batch tonight and hooked it to the CO2 already. Is it too late to use gelatin? I have seen instructions but no one ever mentions if it can be carbed up, in the process of carbing up, or flat first then after 48 hours you can start to carb the beer up.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've heard that it is just fine to do it if it's carbed.

Are you using the finings you buy from lhbs where you only use a small amount? Or a packet of Knox gelatin?

I use the stuff from the lhbs. I am curious how it compares to the Knox gelatin. I've only tried it once but my results were nothing as spectacular as most people state. Maybe I did something wrong...

Sorry for jacking

I've heard that it is just fine to do it if it's carbed.

Are you using the finings you buy from lhbs where you only use a small amount? Or a packet of Knox gelatin?

I use the stuff from the lhbs. I am curious how it compares to the Knox gelatin. I've only tried it once but my results were nothing as spectacular as most people state. Maybe I did something wrong...

Sorry for jacking

I was just going to buy a pack at the grocery store. I think it's the same stuff since you use the same amount regardless, 1 tsp to 2/3 cup of water.

Follow-up: Am I going to lose any flavor by dropping this stuff out of suspension in my beer? I'm worried it will take my dry hoppines with it.

Back