Gelatin finings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHStone

Reaction score
This has probably been asked lots before, but I couldn't find anything relevant to my case after some searching. I want my next batch of beer to be a bit clearer so I've decided to use some gelatin finings. I've read that you heat the water to boiling, let cool to 170 then add the gelatin for 15 minutes then cool to room temp. But, most of the instructions say to cold crash the beer after you add it. I don't have the capacity to cold crash currently, so would it be okay to just let it sit at room temp (~65F) in my basement for a week?

the purpose of cold crashing is to let the chill haze proteins form and then fall out of solution. fining w/out cold crashing would, i think, help drop the yeast but you'll still have chill haze.

You can use gelatin without cold crashing. It will just clear slower and maybe not as completely.

There's no need to boil the water (I never have). Here's how I do it for a 5 gallon batch.

Add 1/2 cup cool water to a sanitized microwave safe cup/bowl/whatever.

Sprinkle 1/2 tbsp of gelatin over the water (do not mix), cover with a paper towel and leave for 20-30 minutes to rehydrate.

Microwave the gelatin in 10 second bursts, stirring in between each until the gelatin dissolves. Should only take 3-4 cycles.

Then simply pour into your fermenter. I don't stir it.

Within a few days to a week your beer will clear up significantly.

I've always read that you cold crash prior to adding gelatin as it works better. This is first beer I've ever used gelatin on and I think it worked great!

Capture.JPG

You can use gelatin without cold crashing. It will just clear slower and maybe not as completely.

There's no need to boil the water (I never have). Here's how I do it for a 5 gallon batch.

Sprinkle 1/2 tbsp of gelatin over the water (do not mix), cover with a paper towel and leave for 20-30 minutes to rehydrate.

Microwave the gelatin in 10 second bursts, stirring in between each until the gelatin dissolves. Should only take 3-4 cycles.

This is how I do it as well.With excellent results.
OP: I see you are in Ohio. It should be cold enough that if you left your fermenter outside for 24 hours that should be good enough for a cold crash. Then add the gelatin.

Not saying that the previous methods are wrong or won't work (because they obviously do). I use a slightly different method though.

Put a cup or so of water in a microwave safe mug with gelatin mixed in (I use a lot--.25oz because that's what's in the packets). Microwave in bursts until the solution is 155F (pretty much when the solution becomes clear). I then just dump it in to my cooled keg and let it sit for a couple/few days. Haven't tried doing this with un-chilled beer.

I do the same as jro238. Cold crash for a few days to drop out what I can, then microwave the water gelatin mix until it runs clear, and dump into the keg. let it sit for another day or two and transfer to the serving keg. NOTE: if doing this to a beer that would want alot of hop aroma, this can drop out some of those hop characteristics so you might want to compensate with few more oz of hops.

IMG_0090.jpg

Or just patience will give you clear beer, and a little whirlfloc of course :)

be aware that if you are bottling they will take longer to carb, especially if you cold crash w gelatin for more than 24 hours

I use Tasty's method which also works very well. 1 tsp gelatin in 1/2 cup water @ 150F let it bloom and add to the keg of cold beer. I've done various combinations of this and never had a bad result. I really don't think there is a way to use gelatin incorrectly. (I'm sure there is I just haven't had a problem yet )

IMG_2402.jpg

There have been several pro brewers/scientists on the BN that have mentioned adding gelatin to beer as a fining agent and all have said to get the beer as cold as possible without freezing it before adding the gelatin. Their reasoning was that the chill haze proteins form larger (and therefore easier for the gelatin to settle) particles the colder the beer is. They also mentioned that the same process works with filtering. As long as the filtering is done extremely cold then the haze protein particles are large enough to stick in the filter and you will have very clear beer. I have never done a side by side experiment with the same wort, but I did notice clearer beer when I started fining in the keg (cold) instead of at the end of long primary (warm). The nice thing about gelatin is that it will always help, cold or not, it would just seem to work better cold.

I am thrilled with my last couple of crystal clear brew.

Cold crash just abovr freezing for 3 days.

Boil a couple cups of water. Take off heat until boiling stops. Mix in a packet of gelatin.

Its not necessary to let cool, dropping in to the ice cold beer work. Just wait a few mins until the mixture gets a little syrupy.

Cold crash for another 1 to 3 days.

As clear as mass produced lagers.

I use Tasty's method which also works very well. 1 tsp gelatin in 1/2 cup water @ 150F let it bloom and add to the keg of cold beer. I've done various combinations of this and never had a bad result. I really don't think there is a way to use gelatin incorrectly. (I'm sure there is I just haven't had a problem yet )

View attachment 165251

Just spent some time researching gelatin and saw this picture. That is a beautiful beer! Is that all crystal-malt color?

This is exactly what I do. Find it works best inside of a corny but also will in a bucket not chilled at the end of fermentation.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

+1 for the method. I don't have the resources to cold crash entire batches of beer, nor do I think I will any time soon. I used this on an amber that I bottled over the weekend and am very happy with the results. Much clearer and less sediment than other batches, had 72 hrs in the carboy before bottling at room temp (19-20C). I plan to do this for all future batches, wheats and hefes obvious exceptions perhaps others.

Just spent some time researching gelatin and saw this picture. That is a beautiful beer! Is that all crystal-malt color?

Thanks! I really liked the color of that one.

It was an ESB that I made 5.5 gallons:

11.8 lbs 2 row
12 oz Crystal 120
4 oz chocolate

I used a really flocculatant Yeast (WY1968 ESB)

11.8 lbs 2 row
12 oz Crystal 120
4 oz chocolate

Thanks a bunch for the reply. It's a beautiful red, I was definitely curious. It's neat that it came out so beautiful with that simple of a grain bill. Hope it tasted as good as it looks!

11.8 lbs 2 row
12 oz Crystal 120
4 oz chocolate

When making my starter with that strain I totally forgot about keeping the house ambient temp up a little.... overnight house got to 63F. When I checked the starter next morning there were tons of flocs/clumps being churned by my stirplate. Kinda crazy, never seen that before.... but you are right, it is flocculant as hell

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Gelatin is a byproduct of the meat industry. It is the protein rendered from boiled skin, ligaments, bones, cartilage, hooves etc. now some of you might not mind but, it is highly processed disgusting waste. I'll stick to Irish Moss on the occasions that I might use a lower flocculating yeast. Just sayin' ;)

Back