Gelatin fining = slimy mouthfeel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewddah

Reaction score
I brewed an APA and fined it with gelatin, and today a buddy of mine said he could detect some diacetyl - not as a butter flavor, but in the mouthfeel. I used S-05, which I've never had diacetyl problems with. I fermented 1 week at 65, and then two at 68 before adding the gelatin and kegging. I honestly didn't notice anything wrong until my friend pointed it out, and now I kind of notice it too. I'd also like to think that two weeks at 68 would have definitely been enough to get rid of any diacetyl. In fact, I've done lower gravity beers with S-05 and only ferment 1 week at 65F and 1 week at 68F with no problems. One even won a medal in a competition. I'm somewhat at a loss here. Could it be the gelatin?

I heated 1 tsp of gelatin in 1/2 cup water to 155F. Racked the beer on top of it in the keg and proceeded as usual.

I'd just be surprised that it's diacetyl since I've never had a problem when using the above fermentation schedule/S-05 before.

If you only put a tsp in that's not the problem.

Jamil reccommends 1/2 pack.

I don't think a tsp will clear your beer.

It's not the gelatin. It might not be diacetyl either but it's certainly not gelatin

I think 1 tsp works. The beer cleared up nicely in a week.

I don't know. I guess I could re-brew it and raise the temp to 70F toward the end. Though that will be hard to do at the moment since even room temperature isn't that high right now.

I do 1/2 tsp per 5 gallons and it clears great.

I do know what you're talking about however!

When I bottle condition, the gelatin beers take much longer to carb up and before they are fully carbed the beer has a oddly slick mouthfeel, whereas a non gelatin beer before it's prime just tastes and feels like flat beer.

This goes away 100% once they've fully carbed though. It's an odd phenomenon and I think 99% if it is just in my head ::confused::

I do 1/2 tsp per 5 gallons and it clears great.

I do know what you're talking about however!

When I bottle condition, the gelatin beers take much longer to carb up and before they are fully carbed the beer has a oddly slick mouthfeel, whereas a non gelatin beer before it's prime just tastes and feels like flat beer.

This goes away 100% once they've fully carbed though. It's an odd phenomenon and I think 99% if it is just in my head ::confused::

I hope you're right! It's been kegged for just over a week only. Maybe it will go away!

If you only put a tsp in that's not the problem.

Jamil reccommends 1/2 pack.

I don't think a tsp will clear your beer.

There's only approximately 2.5tsp in a pack of gelatin so Jamil's recommendation is pretty much the same as what the OP added.

Whats the recipe? large amounts of rye have produced thick mucousy beers IME

No rye, it's just 85% pale malt, 10% munich and 5% crystal 40. And it seems to be better now? I don't know.

Also, I tried the diacetyl test when you heat up a sample in a hot water bath for a few minutes and smell it. I didn't smell any butter.

I gelatin a lot of beers and have never noticed a slick taste on the palate. I even use up to a sachet per 5 gal. I add mine when the gelatin mix is heated and clear to a freshly racked cold (40F) keg before purging/carbing. First few pours are sluggish, and everything after is nice and clear and no aftertaste.

The mouthfeel I was noticing before seems to be gone? I don't know - maybe it was never there to begin with and my friend was full of it. Either that, or I'm suffering from Homebrewer Ugly-Baby Syndrome.

It tastes good to me now. Am I wrong in thinking that two weeks at 68F with S05 would be sufficient to get rid of diacetyl?

Latest posts

Back