Geek vs. Snob: A Conundrum for the History Books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevKev

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Alright an introduction and definition is a good place to start, to me...

A beer snob: is a person whom looks down upon others because they do not drink what the snob does, or bashes others for drinking what is not considered top tier "craft" beer

A beer geek: is an enthusiastic person excited to learn about the trade and processes and one that both appreciates levels of beer drinkers and encourages others to try styles and beers rather than being a ****bird dropping destructive criticism

A beer newb: is someone who is either open to the idea of trying craft or never has and drinks BMC or doesn't drink at all

The point of the thread?

I am part of my stores knowledge based service team in my department, which is beer, my goal as a trained cicerone is to educate and sample a wide variety of beers from extremely high end oak aged wild ales to local lagers and ales and everything in between. I've been so fed up with people looking down either at the very expensive beer (I only drink Bud) or the local breweries that put out an okay product (bc I only drink [____ insert any high end brewery ____]) that I want to become somewhat snarky and have many of comebacks ready and open the discussion to hopefully change the minds of some of the snobs out there that say "I only drink good beer (lambic)" or the newbs that scuff when offered an an artfully crafted ale that they wouldn't drink.

Some people also have told me really crappy stuff who aren't immersed in the craft of beer like "Shut up don't pretend like I'm drinking wine with all that mumbo-jumbo nonsense you're spewing"

My mini-rant is almost over but basically I want to know what you say to:

1) the beer snob

2) the beer geek

3) the beer newb

To encourage, discourage and downright put them in their place as needed.

It is hard to go from drinking BMC to a double IPA. If you want to convert people, find lighter beers and let them sample different styles to learn to taste the different flavors. I remember drinking my first Guinness and thought it was like mud. I had one the other day and maybe it is from drinking much darker stronger porters and stouts I now think it is so light I wondered how is this a porter?

Man, life's to short to be a dick, and from here, it sounds like that's what you will be if you attempt to "put them in their place".
Disclaimer: I'm not saying you ARE a dick, you might be the nicest guy around, but I don't think "having comebacks" ready is really in your best interest as a retail store employee.
OK my rant is now over.
Why not accept that everyone has different tastes? There is no right or wrong taste. Some people like BudLight Clamato. If no one liked it, it wouldn't sell, and they'd make something else.
Some people like to wait in line and buy rare beers at bottle release events. Others don't even want to think about what the taste is, they just want to get hammered.
Your role as the beer guy at the store is to help the customers find what they want to buy, and if you can, up-sell them to a higher margin product.
. You need to help the snobs, geeks, whale hunters, trailer trash and
nice guys like yourself all the same, with professionalism, class and old fashioned friendliness.

For the beer snob: "We got a case of that in our shipment this morning, but we just sold the last one and you missed it <make sad trombone noise>"

For the beer newb: "Hey, over here we have our mixed six-pack area. If you're trying to learn more about what *you* like, it's a great way to start without committing to a whole six-pack of something you might not enjoy. Do you want to tell me a few beers you've liked and I can maybe steer you to others you might enjoy?"

Lol I like that idea bwarbiany.. I'm fed up with being extremely friendly no matter what and spending however long anybody wants trying to help them or even just to talk and being pooped on.

We do have a craft your own wall and that is the perfect opportunity like you pointed out, I tend to open up a variety of 12 packs and stock a wide selection for them to try. But unfortunately it's a dying skew.

I also definitely agree with ya salingeric, I never force anything onto new drinkers but have often had many of session IPAs that have pleased many BMC drinkers. But I feel like many of them are afraid and to no avail I can't even get them to try a blonde ale which is alright.

And madscientist451 by snarky I mean witty remarks that come off jokingly and harmless. The point of this is to open a discussion almost to open the minds of those who are either closed minded whale hunters or newbies. Been at my store for 6 years but it's just hard sometimes so I wanted to mix a little humour into it even if I never actually say any of it. I just dislike that people won't even try stuff like a new beer from southern tier which albeit isn't the highest level of craft, but what's the harm in trying for what it is. I definitely accept people have different tastes but I want to try and break down the barriers

I did reread a few lines I wrote and I did come off as a dick haha whoopsy

True people are likely set within their ways and it's better to just let it slide and grumble later than to say something up front.

So let's say I walk into my local beer joint looking for a thirty-count Coors Light in the refrigerator section. On the way out, the four bottles of Chimay Blue Grand Reserve that caught my eye gets snagged by some dude with more cash who smirks at me when we meet at the cash register. He leaves, puts them in his BMW, and tools off.
I leave a bit disappointed, but still leave with more beer in my Ford truck than he has in the BMW.

I realize the guy who owns the local beer joint doesn't care who the better man is, he just made a small profit ... and maybe one or two Chimays might end up in my truck next payday. :)

But if somebody was pouring Chimay blue, you would stop and try and talk. Some would just pass on by the opportunity to try something very different from the norm. Whether you like it or not I give not but one care but I got you to try something.

That guy in the BMW is the guy that I'm not fond of if he smirks and judges

At the brewery where I work, we've usually got 9 beers on tap (all brewed in house, including homemade root beer for kids and anyone who doesn't want anything alcoholic). I always ask new customers what they like to drink, and go from there. The snobs are laughably obvious, usually want something super hoppy or high ABV to show their "beer nads" off to anyone who will pay attention. Then they'll compare what they've ordered to something the "big" breweries make, sometimes in a derogatory way. I've been bartending way too long to let what they say have any effect on what I think of our beers. The true beer lovers/geeks are the ones I will always spend more time with, and they are the ones truly interested in the recipes and process.

It is hard to go from drinking BMC to a double IPA. If you want to convert people, find lighter beers and let them sample different styles to learn to taste the different flavors. I remember drinking my first Guinness and thought it was like mud. I had one the other day and maybe it is from drinking much darker stronger porters and stouts I now think it is so light I wondered how is this a porter?

Guinness isn't a porter. It's an irish dry stout.

That's what I've been doing seatazzz it just makes you feel good inside talking beer and geeking out, I get the same way when I start talking about research with the FT-ICR. Fills your heart and maybe I'm naive to think that anyone can even change to love all beer not only that which you can pirate and sell bc of demand..

And oh my

It's a good distinction. IMO snobs aren't actually all that discerning and need some sort of external validation to help make their decisions. It was the most expensive or conforms to some standard eg. brand name.

I consider myself a beer snob, but do not generally bash or look down on others. I do refuse offered budweiser and coors(well, maybe coors on a very hot day), and usually ask about an unknown beer before wasting hard earned dollars on it. Life is too short to drink bad (to me) beer.

The only time I've commented, and perhaps looked down on someone is when they put ice in a beer, ha ha.

I've had iced Pilsner before. When you go someplace like the PI and drink warm beer, you'll appreciate a rice-brewed San Miguel over ice. It goes fast in a climate like that.
Warning: Never drink warm Red Horse malt liquor. The horse has a real kick even when it's cold.

That said, I've managed to scrounge two Chimay Blue Grand Reserve' bottles from the local store for safe keeping in my closet. The rest of my stash includes some Victory Summer ale, Victory Golden Monkey, Franziskaner wheat beer, and some home-made amber bock ... and some Coors Light. I'm not picky.

Latest posts

Back