gearmotor milling/configuration issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astronomical

Reaction score
I wired up this motor to my [3 roller 1.5" monster] mill and I'm having some issues.

I did a test run using some unmalted winter wheat and it bound up. I switched around the rollers so I could run the mill CCW and it still bound up.

When people speak of motor rotation, do they mean as your looking at it head on or vice versa? How would I determine which direction has more torque?

I'm guessing (hoping) it'll work fine when I run some malted grain through it, but, it's unfortunate that it can't do unmalted cereal grains.

I have an MM3 powered by a 1/4 horse/5.4 amp motor, with pulleys reducing 1725 rpm to about 250 rpm, IIRC. I have run wheat malt through it many times. I find I need to start the mill rolling first with a few grains, or with some barley malt. Once it gets rolling, I still have to feed the wheat malt more slowly, pouring while the mill is going, but not covering the rollers, to keep things rolling. With barley malt, I just fill the hopper with my whole grain bill, then turn on the mill and watch. I have a 1/2 horse motor laying around, and I'm going to try hooking it up. I hope that belt slippage isn't the next issue.

I'm not sure what you're asking about rotation. The rollers on mine turn towards each other, pulling down the grain into the mill.

I have the same gearmotor going clockwise on my mill and have had no problems filling my hopper and turning it on with malted barley and malted wheat. The gap may be to tight for unmalted wheat try adjusting the gap a little.

Back