gas side tubing size question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Littlejoe

Reaction score
Okay, I've seen that 3/16" tubing is okay for liquid side on 1/4" barb disconnect. Can 5/16" Tubing be tightened down on a 1/4" barb disconnect on gas side ? Or should I use 3/16" on gas gas also?

I just kegged my first keg with priming sugar and I'm putting my kegerator together while it primes. Thanks in advance.

Gas hose size shouldn't matter. So long as your barbs fit the tubing you should be fine. The reason for the 3/16 on liquid side is to provide resistance so that at serving pressure (which maintains carbonation) your beer pours at a speed where CO2 is not knocked out of solution and you do not get a mug full of foam.

Edit: You can use larger ID hose on liquid side, but you would need a longer run to get the same resistance.

I don't think that you will get a reliable seal with 5/16" id tubing on a 1/4" barb. It may not leak at first, but sooner or later the hose will come off the barb.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just have to break down and buy a couple more disconnects with MFL fittings. It will probably make things much easier anyway.

Back