Gas Line Sealant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeebas

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I asked a few questions in https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-brew-stand-few-questions-318866/#post4199987 After some searching I found all of my answers except for the one below so I figured I would repost it in a more direct thread title:

DSC_0357.JPG

#1 There is one very minor pin sized leak if you look on the above picture - the full coupling -> street elbow connection, top center of the photo - I tightened this as much as it would go, and it still seems to be making bubbles - is there any sort of sealant that anyone would recommend that I put around it? Also, trying to get a wrench to grasp one of those full couplings is darn near impossible - any wrench that I should be using in particular to grab onto something like that?

I didn't read the like above or anything but I'll jump in. Did you use any sealant on the fitting? I use a paste on gas fittings - you can find it in the plumbing section where you find teflon tape and stuff.

It seems like a small pipe wrench should work on the coupling???

I work in the oilfields and I've used a variety of things but for my money nothing beats teflon tape with some thread sealent or anti seize compound. Clean the threads well with a wire brush even if they are new, this removes burs, dust and what have you. A small note about pipe threads, NPT threads are cut on a bevel, and this is largely how they are able to seal. Sometimes, (seldom), 2 fittings don't match up well because the threads weren't beveled that well for whatever reason. Before you replace any fittings though try the thread tape. Be sure and wrap it in a clockwise direction, or as if you were going to thread a nut onto it. Start at the back and work your way to the front with good empahsis on the front, since this is where much of the sealing is done.

I've had 3 and 4 mile sections of pipe with a hundred fittings fail a pressure test because of a couple tiny leaks!! It can be frustrating to say the least!

Pipe wrench! I own almost every other type of wrench one could think of and tried them all :p I will undo this joint and add some tape (the threads were taped it seems, but the leak persisted) and see if that solves it. Thanks for the replies!

The assembly was done using Rectorseal 5. It's a stainless fitting. replace it with a standard black pipe fitting. let me know how much and I'll reimburse you.
How come you didn't contact me for help?

With a suggestion from OneHoppyGuy - I just added a longer piece of black pipe replaced the coupling > street elbow with a normal FPT to FPT 90 degree elbow. Used rectorseal 5 on the black pipe threads - no leaks now!

With a suggestion from OneHoppyGuy - I just added a longer piece of black pipe replaced the coupling > street elbow with a normal FPT to FPT 90 degree elbow. Used rectorseal 5 on the black pipe threads - no leaks now!

I was gonna say... where's the thread tape?

I use only thread sealant on all gas fittings and haven't had an issue. Teflon is a PIA.

Back