Gas leak issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think I have a leaky keg, but am confused on how the keg can leak gas if there's a disconnect attached. I'm pretty sure it's the newest keg I've filled. This keg has a universal poppit valve on the gas side and it seems I've read where they are not well received here in the past. The disconnect fits, but really had to push down on it to get it to latch. Would it still be able to leak gas or do I have a leak in the line(s). somewhere?

I'm hoping it's not the lines, as I recently changed them. I didn't have issues, that I recall, before adding this recent keg I filled. This was a 20lb tank I had to refill, so I'm assuming that tank would have emptied long ago if it's a gas/beer line issue, right?

Just thought I'd ask for some ideas before I go downstairs with the soapy water.

A damaged post gasket (the one that the connector contacts) could explain a leak with the connector attached.
And a damaged or missing dip tube gasket (the ones under the dip tube flanges) - under either post - can allow head space gas to escape...

Cheers!

Make sure you’re using the correct disconnect also. Shouldn’t be that hard to push on/pull off. Make sure you’re using grey for gas in, black for liquid out

It's definitely not that. I've swapped them out on purpose a few years back when I had an over carbed keg and that was MUCH harder to get on/take off. I thought I broke the pin inside the disconnect.

So, an idea I had was to rack this IPA to another non-leaking keg so I could repair the leaky one. Would you all do that, or just leave as is? I could just keep the gas off unless I'm pulling pints from it.

Back