Gas burner/boiling ring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sebbb

Reaction score
Hi guys, in the last few brews I've been using a 20L aluminium kettle and the biggest kitchen hob I have at home as heating source. I've realised that vigorous boiling is only achieved if the lid is put on the pot which has made me wonder about the sulphury compounds evaporation and boil off ,although I guess they do not actually in my case.

I hence believe I should buy a more powerful source of heat like gas burner or boiling ring. So my question follows: how powerful should it be in order to provoke a vigorous boil without putting lid on top my 20 L aluminium pot?

Thanks
Seb

You're missing the crucial information that you're in the UK, so electric is probably a better option - US brewers tend to use gas because they only have 110V mains electric, which is barely enough to boil an egg. Typical UK kettle element is 2400W, some people rig up DIY setups with two kettle elements and use both to get up to temperature, one to maintain the boil.

Also, if you're using a gas burner you should really use it outside, which is a less attractive option for the UK, at least for >half the year....

Back