Garden Produce: Favorite recipes and ideas for storing extra tomatoes & vegetables?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob_Marley

Reaction score
I've got way more tomatoes from my garden than I can use. I've given some to neighbors and family but I'd like to come up with some other ways to prepare them for use this fall/winter.

Already I am blanching & freezing some of them.
What are your favorite recipes (that will store), or ways of preserving tomatoes?
tomato.gif

(and other extra garden produce)

I can them also. I do enough that I have tomatoes all winter long.

Last weekend I pickled a lot of bananna peppers and made habanero hot sauce from the peppers from my garden.

Can them whole, diced, sauced, make salsa, etc...
Dry them, you can pick up a dryer fairly cheap, just slice 'em & load the dryer up; when they're done, just bag 'em in Ziploc bags, or better yet, vacuum pack them with a Foodsaver.
If you still have way too many, you might donate them to a food bank or a homeless shelter.
Regards, GF.

Canning them is easy, since they're acidic. A water-bath canner will do the job. I've canned salsa as well. Pickled hot peppers in an un-spiced brine.

I can marinara sauce, and whole tomatoes. I also freeze some. I don't like canned peppers, but I do love to freeze them, cut in half, and use them in stir fry. I dry mushrooms and hot peppers, and garlic, and onions keep well. I blanched corn on the cob, then took it off of the cob and froze it in vacuum sealed bags. I don't usually preserve corn, though.

I freeze most things, like broccoli and peas, as I don't like those canned.

When we were growing cayenne, we had them strung all over the kitchen near the ceiling to dry. Gave the kitchen a wonderful smell too boot! I'd grind them coarsely in the blender & jar'em up.

Back