Game of Thrones Season Three

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol Well I will agree its not for everyone. I actually enjoy all the characters and their background. The people complaining in the reviews is because they want the story to come to an end, but what about all the stuff that happens in between. This isn't your teen novella clocking in at 300 pages.

Characters die just like real life it is no fairytale
and book 4 A Feast For Crows was actually one of my favs for reasons I can't go into in this thread because its not caught up to the show. When you play the game of thrones ser, you either win or you die there is no middle ground.

Does him killing off my favorite characters piss me off? yes, but only at first until I realized that the books are not about Eddard Stark.

he is better than tolkien because he is a lot more hardcore,

tolkien is for kids

Martin is for adults

Agree except for the Tolkien thing. LOTR is definitely suitable for adults.

GOT is not about heroics. It's just about how bad stuff happens to everyone. Life is precarious. Death is all around. There are no favorites (At least not so far, but I'm still cheering for a couple of characters I like to buck the trend!)

lol Well I will agree its not for everyone. I actually enjoy all the characters and their background. The people complaining in the reviews is because they want the story to come to an end, but what about all the stuff that happens in between. This isn't your teen novella clocking in at 300 pages.

I actually really enjoy all the details that he packs into the characters and the backgrounds. I mean, he is presenting a continent that has thousands of years of history - it would cheapen the entire story not to get into it. The people complaining in the reviews can go *%$@ themselves IMO. Don't want an indepth read? Go watch the HBO series.

Characters die just like real life it is no fairytale

That's a major reason why I enjoy this series so much.

and book 4 A Feast For Crows was actually one of my favs for reasons I can't go into in this thread because its not caught up to the show. When you play the game of thrones ser, you either win or you die there is no middle ground.

Exactly!

Does him killing off my favorite characters piss me off? yes, but only at first until I realized that the books are not about Eddard Stark.

I've never thrown a book across a room because I was so upset with a plot event (Red Wedding) before. That's a sign of a great book, when you're so invested in a group of characters and the writer wipes them off the map. There are historical connections to the Red Wedding and an event known as the Black Dinner in Scottish history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Douglas

he is better than tolkien because he is a lot more hardcore,

tolkien is for kids

Martin is for adults

Tolkien wrote for a different time. I don't agree that Tolkien is necessarily for kids. Ever read the Silmarillion? There's so much death, tragedy, and evil packed into that book that there's no way anyone could say Tolkien wrote for an audience of children.

There are historical connections to the Red Wedding and an event known as the Black Dinner in Scottish history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Douglas

Tolkien wrote for a different time. I don't agree that Tolkien is necessarily for kids. Ever read the Silmarillion? There's so much death, tragedy, and evil packed into that book that there's no way anyone could say Tolkien wrote for an audience of children.

Yeah actually that was a very broad statement I made, but considering that most people that compare Martin to Tolkien are comparing GoT world to Lord of the Rings world.

I'm definitely checking out that black dinner info, I did not know about that!

I'm on my 3rd book in between and I've found myself wishing for more character development like The Game of Thrones.

Ugh.

I'm not ready yet.

Back