Galaxy NE IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewmarkwith

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain (BIAB)
Yeast: Wyeast 1318
Starter: Yes
Batch Size: 5 Gallons
OG: 1.070
FG: 1.016
IBU: 84
SRM: 5.5
Boil Time: 60 min
Primary Fermentation: 10 days. 3 days @ 67-68, 7 days @ 70-71
Water: Poland Springs. Cl: 200. SO4: 70
Mash Temp: 155 degrees

Grain Bill:

13# 2 Row (74%)
2.5# Flaked Oats (14%)
2 # Light Munich (6L, 11%)

Hops: pellets

60 min: 1oz CTZ (13.4 AA) 42 IBU
10 min: 1oz CTZ (13.4 AA) 15 IBU
10 min: 1oz Centennial (10 AA) 11 IBU
10 min: 1 oz Galaxy (13.2 AA) 15 IBU
0 min: 1 oz Galaxy (13.2 AA)
0 min: 2 oz Centennial (10 AA)
WP: 2 oz Galaxy & 1 oz CTZ for 30 min @ 160
DH: 3 oz Cent & 1.5 oz CTZ x 4 days in Better Bottle, no muslin bag
DH: 3 oz Galaxy in Keg (1 oz Simcoe added 10 days into kegging)

I don't count IBU from flame out or whirlpool.

Tasting Notes:

1. Despite a high FG of 1.016, there is no sweetness in this beer. mouthfeel is amazing

2. I love galaxy hops in dry hop...except for my beer
took on a strong melon taste that was very disappointing and I had to add an oz of simcoe to keg, and totally redeemed myself.

3. I would be interested to see people's opinions on dry hopping Bud Light for 3 days at room temp and then put in fridge for 24 hours vs dry hopping for 4 days at fridge temperature. I bet there is a difference

4. IMO, Trillium and HF are best at dry hopping with Galaxy: DBL galaxy, Congress st, Vicinity. While i love Treehouse, I was shocked to learn that the AUS hop in Green was galaxy- I don't taste it at all. I suspect there is very little Galaxy in the dry hop. My beer actually tasted like green until the dry hop. Would agree with other posters who suggested Green has citra in the dry hop, but I prefer Vicinity which is much danker than Green

I will try to post pics of my beer compared to Vicinity and Nightshift Morph featuring galaxy hops.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458088836.603450.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 217
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458252572.312436.jpg

Update. Was able to snag a can of Green. Here is side by side comparison. I would say Green features a lot of citra in the dry hop, and very little Galaxy. Maybe some centennial in dry hop as well. Of note, the ounce of Simcoe I added to the keg (10 days after transfer to keg with 3 oz of Galaxy) completely overpowers the melon flavor. Next time using Galaxy will dry hop aggressively in primary but do a combo in the keg

Do you think a hop shot is necessary to get that level of aroma?

never used a hop shot before. I have only seen hop shots advertised for bittering but maybe could be used for aroma too (seen them as columbus extract).
For my next beer I am going to play around with dry hopping miller light bottles to find best combo of citra, simcoe, columbus and centennial. I will also try one bottle with Citra at room temp for 3 days before chilling and the other in the fridge for 4 days to see if flavor is different.

Back