Galaxy Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChaosB

Berserker
Reaction score
Why are these so hard to get? This is the second time YVH has got the 2019 crop in stock and sold out within hours and I miss it because I've been asleep. This time I got the in stock email and saw it within an hour and a half and they're still gone already. YVH indicated that they sold a couple thousand pounds in 15 min. Who is buying all this up so quickly? The LHBS that wants to sell them to me for gouged ounce prices? This is so frustrating.

6-12-19.Wednesday.05.51.1560286271~01.png

Well apparently they're sitting by the computer refreshing the page to hawk them all or else they know something I don't.

I got the email when I was at work, put a lb in my cart, and wasn't able to checkout because they had already sold out. I was able to pickup a lb in 2 oz packs before they sold out completely though. All the galaxy was sold out within a half hour of receiving the email.

I've started using Azacca insted of Galaxy. To me they have a similar fruit profile, but I get a lot of dankness from Galaxy, which I don't like, and Azacca has none of that.

You had to be on it, I had a pound in my cart that literally sold as I was logging into Paypal.

Its that sexy hop I guess. I'm happy with a half pound to mess around with this year.

Can't say I didn't think about resale AFTER reading their no resale thing, haha.

Next up Nelson.

Wow geez. Just trying to help out a fellow home brewer. Searched on galaxy subs and citra came popping up most often. Guess I’ll just mosey on next time.

Wow geez. Just trying to help out a fellow home brewer. Searched on galaxy subs and citra came popping up most often. Guess I’ll just mosey on next time.

No one was rude, just pointing out information we thought wasn’t accurate.

Cheers!

No one was rude, just pointing out information we thought wasn’t accurate.

Cheers!

All good. Didn’t say anyone was being rude. Multiple internet sources said citra was a sub for galaxy and he couldn’t get it, so just trying to offer some alternatives. But you got 5lbs, so maybe you could help him out.

All good. Didn’t say anyone was being rude. Multiple internet sources said citra was a sub for galaxy and he couldn’t get it, so just trying to offer some alternatives. But you got 5lbs, so maybe you could help him out.

Salty.

Order was for me and a friend, definitely not reselling these hops!

I'm not sure it's people doing anything purposely turdish. Neipas are the biggest thing out there currently like it or not and galaxy is very popular for those beers. I already had 4 pounds and grabbed 5 more to be safe. Those will all be used by myself. Cheers

I think the turd thing and reselling is for people doing a scalper type thing, not for one buddy helping out another.

There is also a note now for breweries to use spothops.com now too on YVH. Not sure how many breweries would be buying retail but who knows, does seem like they are trying to look out for homebrewers and be fair.

I think the turd thing and reselling is for people doing a scalper type thing, not for one buddy helping out another.

There is also a note now for breweries to use spothops.com now too on YVH. Not sure how many breweries would be buying retail but who knows, does seem like they are trying to look out for homebrewers and be fair.
I guess it's possible. I've never personally seen any individuals buying pounds at retail and the reselling them in smaller amounts. You'd have to know alot of homebrewers and buy alot of hops for that to even be slightly profitable when you think about it. Cheers

Have they been in stock recently though? Says backordered and that's what it said pretty much everywhere I checked since I started this thread. I got some by the oz from another HBS about 2 months ago but IDK what crop year they came from and they're sold out now as well.

Have you tried checking Yakima at the time posted above each day? Most people I know that have been looking have been successful. You can put an email notification on the specific hop/amount you want and get an instant ping.

I just got my two pounds. Luckily I'm on night shift right now. I refreshed the page right at 11 PST. I had previously logged into my account with payment info saved so I could get through the checkout as quickly as possible. I went back a minute later and the count on lbs had already dropped from 176 to 161.

5 min later, down to 107. Ounces are already sold out again, but I didn't catch the number available they started with today.

Got some half packs. Very interested in brewing something with these (since everyone is talking them up).

I'd recommend this if I didn't have so much trouble with it for my first brew. Was a great beer when I tried it. MadTree Galaxy High.

https://d162ft5aanaje7.cloudfront.n...83227e2eae92/files/galaxy_high.pdf?1538394469

Definitely need to mash low temp so it's all fermentable and get a strong pitch. My FG came in kinda high and tastes too sweet from unfermented sugar. I mashed at too high a temp.

Very potent hop, just know that high levels of dry hopping can take a bit longer to condition from “green” to drinkable.

I feel like I had all kinds of aroma and solid hop flavor plus some fruity Conan esters that even shined through all the sugar until it faded after 2 days in the keg. Granted I also released the headspace pressure after Force carbing to try to equalize to serving pressure and I'm not sure I should have done that. All the fruity smell came pouring out. That or oxygen killed it, I did a pressure transfer so I thought I eliminated that but idk, I made beer.

Back