Galaxy Hops and Onion/Garlic aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterpants

Reaction score
Anyone experience this phenomenon before?

I ask because I've yet to use Galaxy but in a comp I judged this weekend, 2 different IPAs that prominently mentioned Galaxy hops in their recipie lists had awful Onion/Garlic aroma and slight flavor. It truly killed their beers.

I'd very much like to avoid this in my Galaxy usage. Clues on what caused it?

idk but i got a lb of galaxy in my freezer unopened. never used it before so i hope it doesnt add this kinda aroma. what year crop and where did you get it?

Did they mention Summit too? I get that from Summit, gotta use it real lightly. I've only ever gotten tropical fruit from Galaxy. Love that hop, esp. with Nelson.

I don't have any further details.... was just judging..... I don't recall seeing summit but the common denominator between the two was galaxy.

Interesting

I'm glad you guys are using them as late additions successfully.

I've had great success the first time using Galaxy. Liked it so much I'm doing another and in the fermentor now.

I have brewed four recipes over the last three years highlighting Galaxy, including one SMASH brew. My hops came from two different harvest years and judging by the listed AA%, at least two different lots from one of those years. I have never experienced any garlic/onion flavor or aroma in any of the brews I have made. Not to say it might not show up in the current year or with a given usage, but I would suspect another hop is being used and contributing this attribute.

Latest posts

Back