Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their Hefe is good. But I had it at the BJ's in Daytona across from the Speedway. Have not tried any at Gainesville. I've had the Swamphead Oatmeal at Stubbies, it was quite robust.

Do they have their tasting room done yet, or is COG and AC still red taping them to death?

I haven't had Swamphead's beers at BJ's yet, but BJ's own series of beers mostly sucks.

I haven't had Swamphead's beers at BJ's yet, but BJ's own series of beers mostly sucks.

except for their hefeweizen which is hands down the best BJs beer no contest.

Although I do remember chris having a problem with a dogfish 60 min at BJs. maybe it was some other ipa, either way, it sucked. Or maybe it was Ed.

Either way, yes I've seen that problem sorta.

except for their hefeweizen which is hands down the best BJs beer no contest.

+1. I had very high hopes when that place opened, but I only like the Hefe too.

Even the Kolsch sucks, it just tastes like an American Lager. The red was too dry, the hops in the Pale Ale were muddy, the brown was too roasty, and the stout wasn't great (but I hate stouts anyway).

BJ's food is that retarded new Applebees style where everything is a gawdamn mix of 5 different ethnic styles and with way over the top names and descriptions.

"Thai shrimp lettuce wraps"
"avocado eggrolls"
"California club flatbread appetizer"

Seriously. If I ever order a "california club flatbread appetizer" someone please come take my Man Card away from me.

Gawdamn new generation and your gawdamn fancy food names. Get off my lawn, and take your "avocado shrimp poppers with miso-chili dipping sauce" with you! :off:

+1. I had very high hopes when that place opened, but I only like the Hefe too.

Even the Kolsch sucks, it just tastes like an American Lager. The red was too dry, the hops in the Pale Ale were muddy, the brown was too roasty, and the stout wasn't great (but I hate stouts anyway).

BJ's food is that retarded new Applebees style where everything is a gawdamn mix of 5 different ethnic styles and with way over the top names and descriptions.

"Thai shrimp lettuce wraps"
"avocado eggrolls"
"California club flatbread appetizer"

Seriously. If I ever order a "california club flatbread appetizer" someone please come take my Man Card away from me.

Gawdamn new generation and your gawdamn fancy food names. Get off my lawn, and take your "avocado shrimp poppers with miso-chili dipping sauce" with you! :off:

jesus christ avocado shrimp poppers reminds me of jalapeno poppers. which if combined with avocado would be FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

I like the BJs food more than most chain restaurants', but the quality has gone downhill since they first opened.

I like the BJs food more than most chain restaurants', but the quality has gone downhill since they first opened.

I agree to some extent. it is a little overpriced but some of their stuff (at least when I lived in gville) was pretty good.

some of it was ridiculous though. I remember alex bought what he thought was a stromboli that fed 2 (he asked the waitress and all how big it was and whatnot)

nothing could've prepared us for the laughter that ensued when he got served his stromboli for 2 priced at like 9 dollars.

It was literally about the size of half a burger

They are hit or miss at BJs, I have gotten fantastic Big Nose at BJs and some that were just alright. Same has happened with Arrogant Bastard, Celebration and now that I think about it every hoppy beer I've ordered there.

Hey for you guys that like jalapeños and other hot stuff; if you are at a B&B Gas/Food Mart, (now Busy Bee), try a jar of their "Blue Cheese Stuffed Jalapeños" pricey at $6.89, but sure tastes great with a good beer!

Hey for you guys that like jalapeños and other hot stuff; if you are at a B&B Gas/Food Mart, (now Busy Bee), try a jar of their "Blue Cheese Stuffed Jalapeños" pricey at $6.89, but sure tastes great with a good beer!

or you could grow your own and make `poppers:mug:
LINK

Whats odd is the deer have eatten all my pepper plants this past couple weeks, I talking down to the stem, peppers & all :mad:

re:BJ`s, glad to hear its the place screwing up the beers and I shouldn't be surprised. I like the pizzia but the beers sucked

What's the best place to get propane in town? Any places cheaper than others?

I personally liked to go to Uhaul over on main and 6th I think it is. not sure anymore.

Anyway, the reason being that they fill your tank and charge you for the amount filled, so if you didn't think you had enough propane for a brew session but you still had propane left and didn't wanna trade it in losing the propane, boom problem solved.

with a spanking empty tank I think it costs like 15 or 16 to fill at uhaul, but you can come when it's half full or a quarter left or you're not sure and they just fill it. it's pretty amazing and ends up being waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than home depot/lowes/publix since you don't have to trade in unused propane/stop a boil

Im not 100% if they sell tanks, give them a call (352) 373-8533

If you don't have a tank yet, any place will do (even craigslist).

it can be a destroyed up old tank, at that point just bring it to home depot and swamp it out with a brand new tank for 18 dollars (filled)

and from then on you can refill at uhaul, until your tank starts to rusta lot then they will stop filling it and you swap at home depot and start the cycle

Heritage Propane on W 6th up past 39th used to be pretty reasonable. Best place is a Flying J Truckstop. Sadly, none around here.

Got some Pils there and had them run it through the crusher. It was in a brown paper bag so I never looked at it until I was pouring it into the mash tun with the hot water. Too late, lots of uncrushed grains in the top of the bag. Missed my OG by two points, or so I thought, so I added some dextrose, 12 oz.

On edit: After the boil I ended up with an OG of 1.078, so I added a gallon of water. Did not measure after that. Stupid me I measured the pre boil OG and panicked. Had company over so I was distracted. Brewpal said I should have OG of 1.063.

Recipe:

10 Lb Weyerman Pils
1.5 Lb Weyerman Wheat

.75 Halletaur at 60 Min.
.5 Halletaur at 15 Min.

WLP400/Notty, 3rd round, 1st on yeast cake.

Got some Pils there and had them run it through the crusher. It was in a brown paper bag so I never looked at it until I was pouring it into the mash tun with the hot water. Too late, lots of uncrushed grains in the top of the bag. Missed my OG by two points, or so I thought, so I added some dextrose, 12 oz.

On edit: After the boil I ended up with an OG of 1.078, so I added a gallon of water. Did not measure after that. Stupid me I measured the pre boil OG and panicked. Had company over so I was distracted. Brewpal said I should have OG of 1.063.

Recipe:

10 Lb Weyerman Pils
1.5 Lb Weyerman Wheat

.75 Halletaur at 60 Min.
.5 Halletaur at 15 Min.

WLP400/Notty, 3rd round, 1st on yeast cake.

2 points off a pretty big beer and you freaked out???

by the way: Don't get grains tuesday-thursday... just a personal rule I like to live by

From what I have heard, Barron has a new mill and is building the hopper and cabinet for it, so the crush should improve very soon. In the meantime, double-crushing is highly recommended.

That said, I love my Barley Crusher malt mill.

So I broke in my new kettle and burner yesterday... weirdness ensued.

You may or may not know that until yesterday, I brewed all grain with a concentrated wort boil (essentially, using a lost less sparge water than one would normally do, and making up the difference by adding top-up water into the fermentor). So yesterday was the first time I actually did a full-wort boil.

First, I end up with about an extra gallon of wort. I managed to add half to it to the brewpot over time and used the other half to make a Koelsch II yeast starter. So far so good. My newly stretched ribcage immersion chiller refused to bring the temperature down below 90 degrees.
Then, when I transferred to the fermentor, my volume was a little low, but the OG was 8 points higher than I expected. I ended up pitching the starter at 80 (!), and this morning it's actively fermenting at 66 degrees. Impatience on my part, but I needed the damn flask to make the Koelsch starter.

Anyway, I think it'll be fine for my first shot at this new equipment.

So I broke in my new kettle and burner yesterday... weirdness ensued.

You may or may not know that until yesterday, I brewed all grain with a concentrated wort boil (essentially, using a lost less sparge water than one would normally do, and making up the difference by adding top-up water into the fermentor). So yesterday was the first time I actually did a full-wort boil.

First, I end up with about an extra gallon of wort. I managed to add half to it to the brewpot over time and used the other half to make a Koelsch II yeast starter. So far so good. My newly stretched ribcage immersion chiller refused to bring the temperature down below 90 degrees.
Then, when I transferred to the fermentor, my volume was a little low, but the OG was 8 points higher than I expected. I ended up pitching the starter at 80 (!), and this morning it's actively fermenting at 66 degrees. Impatience on my part, but I needed the damn flask to make the Koelsch starter.

Anyway, I think it'll be fine for my first shot at this new equipment.
sounds like you should've used all the "extra" for the boil since this burner clearly gives you more boiloff than your previous.

but either way in the end you didn't f up a whole batch, that's a success in my book

From what I have heard, Barron has a new mill and is building the hopper and cabinet for it, so the crush should improve very soon. In the meantime, double-crushing is highly recommended.

That said, I love my Barley Crusher malt mill.

for real. if you're not double crushing at hoggetowne you're doing it to yourself

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback on my IPA/Pale Ale. Here is the recipe:

Black or Blue EyePA:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal Estimated OG: 1.059 SG Estimated Color: 8.8 SRM Estimated IBU: 55.2 IBU Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 % Boil Time: 60 Minutes

9.00 lb Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM)
1.50 lb Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) (65.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Caramel Malt - 15L (Muntons) (15.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM)
15.00 gm Magnum [13.00 %] (60 min) 25.7 IBU
30.00 gm Simcoe [12.70 %] (20 min) 16.9 IBU
15.00 gm Simcoe [12.70 %] (5 min) 4.2 IBU
30.00 gm Simcoe [12.70 %] (1 min) 8.4 IBU
30.00 gm Simcoe [12.70 %] (Dry Hop 5 days; see below)
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min)
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)
1/2 tsp pH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min)
1/4 tsp pH 5.2 Stabilizer (Sparge water)
1.00 gm Chalk (Mash 60.0 min)
1.00 gm Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 min)
5.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min)
1 Pkgs Denny's Favorite 50 (Wyeast Labs #1450) [Stepped-up 1600ml starter]

Simcoe were leaf hops, Magnum pellets. When you drank it, the beer had NOT yet been dryhopped. Water base is Publix Glacier dispensing machine water (30 cents/gallon). Use English crystal malts, not Briess! Single Infusion mash 60' at 152, batch sparge at 175. Magnum addition can be boosted to get more bitterness. Can also be replaced by any other clean bittering hop, like Horizon.

Enjoy!

sounds like you should've used all the "extra" for the boil since this burner clearly gives you more boiloff than your previous.

but either way in the end you didn't f up a whole batch, that's a success in my book

I would have, but since the base malt was Pilsner, I didn't want to get a DMS bomb in the end. I will adjust for next time :)

I've got a Corona, just did not feel like cranking out 10# of grain through it. Last time I hooked the electric drill up to it, it (the drill) overheated and started stinking. I should buzz over to Harbor Freight and get a bigger drill, I suppose.

I cranked out the wheat myself, but that was only 1.5# and only took a few minutes. Yeah, I know about the Tue-Thurs deal.

I've got a Corona, just did not feel like cranking out 10# of grain through it. Last time I hooked the electric drill up to it, it (the drill) overheated and started stinking. I should buzz over to Harbor Freight and get a bigger drill, I suppose.

I cranked out the wheat myself, but that was only 1.5# and only took a few minutes. Yeah, I know about the Tue-Thurs deal.

I have a corona also but I'm too lazy to use it. how did you hook it up to the drill? I haven't been bothered enough to go check it out since I used to get my grains at Hoggetowne and that was ok. But now I live far away from there and have no LHBS I need to buy in bulk

I would like to thank everyone in helping make this the number 5 thread in terms of posts in the General Beer Discussion forum

GAINESVILLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Reppin' the 352 biatches!!!!

Ok I feel sorta white now.

And in an unrelated note, make sure to get a double crush from the brew store.

elmetal, just get a long 1/4-20 bolt and cut the head off. It will screw right into where the thumbscrew that holds the crank on goes. Then tighten drill chuck on that.

elmetal, just get a long 1/4-20 bolt and cut the head off. It will screw right into where the thumbscrew that holds the crank on goes. Then tighten drill chuck on that.

if that's the case then I could by all means get a socket cap or hex cap screw 1/4-20 and just use the right allen/socket key correct?

I think I might have left the mill at Alex's in gville. f me

Yeah, now that I think about it, that would be better. No/less possibility of slippage.

I think there is a thread in DIY or Equip/Sanitation on Corona Mill mods.

Here's the recipe for that brown ale Sierra Nevada Tumbler clone I brought to Barron's place if anyone is interested:

5.25 gallons
8.5 lbs Pale Malt (Weyermans)
1.0 lbs Smoked malt (Weyermans, very important!)
1.0 lbs British Crystal 50-60L
6.0 oz Pale Chocolate Malt - cold steeped day before
1.5oz Challenger @ 60
1.0oz Challenger @ 10
1.0oz EKG @ 10
Fermentis S-04
Mash at 155F, ferment at 65F.

I screwed up my mash temps, started at 160F by accident for a few minutes. That might account for my higher final gravity (1.018-1.019).

Pale Chocolate was cold steeped in about a quart or so of RO water. Drained that through a strainer and added liquid to the boil.

I did the beer as a No Chill. I left out the 10 minute hops until I was ready to pitch yeast. I steeped the hops for 10 minutes in some nearly boiling wort that I threw into a pot after I moved the beer from the No Chill cube into the fermenter. I don't get much hop aroma from the finished beer at this point (few weeks old) so I guess the hop tea wasn't too effective.

Back