Gadget for priming a keg without (significant) O2 ingress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKnuckle

Reaction score
I thought I'd share the DIY gizmo I came up with for priming a purged keg with sugar solution before racking finished beer to it. I suppose you could use it for any liquid.

Note - the keg (lower right) was sanitized, sanitizer dumped, then CO2 was piped from the fermenter for the duration of primary (8 days), thereby purging it of O2.

You see a small funnel connected to a short length of hose, likewise attached to a picnic tap nozzle. The picnic tap in turn runs to a liquid QD via another short length of hose. When this is attached to the keg, it's closed so nothing gets in or out.

First, quickly pull the PRV to ensure there's no pressure in the keg.

To use, I briefly boiled and then slightly cooled my priming solution, which was sugar dissolved in 1/2 cup of water. I poured some into the funnel, squeezed the picnic tap to let it flow into the keg, then quickly closed the tap after the solution dropped in. The funnel is small, so I did this three times, et voila.

Enjoy...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1b14.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1b16.jpg

Can you explain or point me in the direction the reason for this? I'm new to kegging and trying to learn all the little tricks.

In terms of priming the keg; it's to achieve the dual purpose of A) saving bottled CO2; and B) producing a denser, more finely bubbled carbonation. Just like priming in the bottle.

The gadget is to avoid opening the keg and introducing oxygen, since at the time of its use, the keg is full of CO2 and ready to receive fermented beer.

Oh interesting the sugar water is for added fermentation and carbonation before bottled CO2.
Very cool setup!

Yes, the sugar priming solution is to utilize the extant yeast to "naturally" carbonate the keg of beer.
No CO2 bottles need to be involved :)

Cheers!

Yes, the sugar priming solution is to utilize the extant yeast to "naturally" carbonate the keg of beer.
No CO2 bottles need to be involved :)

Cheers!

Pardon the interruption. I'm relatively new to kegging so this is probably a dumb question.

day_trippr's comment that no CO2 bottles are needed means just for conditioning? CO2 bottle still needed for serving from the keg?

Pardon the interruption. I'm relatively new to kegging so this is probably a dumb question.

day_trippr's comment that no CO2 bottles are needed means just for conditioning? CO2 bottle still needed for serving from the keg?
Yes. He is using the priming sugar purely to make the yeast carbonate his beer. Once it has carbed up, he will pressurize to serving pressures and have at it.

Back