FYI - do not use non-SS wire to tie up your keg hop bag...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-TH-

Reaction score
Brewed my best batch to date IMHO recently - a IIPA something similar to hopslam - 24lbs grain, 12oz hops for 5 gal.

After about a week in the keg, I started to get a very very strong metal taste. Got so bad I couldn't drink it. After letting it sit several weeks, I finally opened it up this past weekend. To my horror I discovered that the wire I had used to tie my dry hop bag to the keg lid was rusted and mostly disintegrated:

cam00894-61063.jpg

The wire was from a spool I had from a left over work project and I had always assumed it was stainless. Guess it wasn't. At least I found the culprit. It just about killed me to dump it down the drain however. I'm still grieving...

I know it sucks, but cut yourself some slack. You are not the first person to do this, nor will you be the last...

off topic, but how did you tie it to the inside of the keg lid? Mine are all smooth on the inside.

off topic, but how did you tie it to the inside of the keg lid? Mine are all smooth on the inside.

Someone here gave me the idea but I used a ss worm gear hose clamp around the pressure relief valve that sticks out from the inside of the lid.

I used non-waxed dental floss and I runs out of the keg, over the big gasket in then corney lid. I then tie it somewhere on the top of the keg.

I don't like the idea of a worm gear hose clamp; those are typically coated with some surface metal that can flake off and corrode.

That stinks!

I never thought about tying my dryhop bag in the keg. I've just dropped it in there.
I thought about doing this, but convinced myself the bag would sink and toward the end it would clog the dip tube. Glad to hear its not the case; the dental floss idea is a bit of PITA

I thought about doing this, but convinced myself the bag would sink and toward the end it would clog the dip tube. Glad to hear its not the case; the dental floss idea is a bit of PITA

I've dry hopped over a dozen kegs without tying them up, and never had a clog. I use 5 gal nylon paint strainer bags. First couple I tied with teflon tape, which worked, but turned out to be a waste of time.

You can also use stainless tea balls. That's what I use in my kegs for dry hopping. They'll never clog a dip tube and are easier to clean than nylon bags when you're done.

You can also use stainless tea balls. That's what I use in my kegs for dry hopping. They'll never clog a dip tube and are easier to clean than nylon bags when you're done.

Be careful with those too. I have a few of them that have nice SS mesh, but the frame the mesh attaches to is low grade SS, and started rusting after a few uses being exposed to an acidic environment. They also don't hold enough whole leaf hops for my taste.

Be careful with those too. I have a few of them that have nice SS mesh, but the frame the mesh attaches to is low grade SS, and started rusting after a few uses being exposed to an acidic environment. They also don't hold enough whole leaf hops for my taste.

Good points. I've used both of the balls the LHBS I work at carries and both hold up just fine. No rust. I also use pellets typically. I can get 2oz in a ball. I've used as many as 3 balls in a keg...

Latest posts

Back