FWH question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElJefeBrews

Reaction score
I'm about to try FWH for the first time on a mosaic SMaSH ipa. My confusion is that I've read that it's for bittering and also that it's for flavor. I have it in the recipe as a bittering addition. Does it do one or the other or both? What's your experience with it?

PS its mashing right now so any quick responses are appreciated

From what I have read it is mostly bittering. It gives a less harsh bitter taste. I don't think it gives "flavor" in the sense of late addition hops. I use Beersmith and it has FWH as a selection for the hop addition so I would guess it is making the proper adjustments.

On the ones I have done it gave a very nice amount of bittering without any "bite".

From what I have read it is mostly bittering. It gives a less harsh bitter taste. I don't think it gives "flavor" in the sense of late addition hops. I use Beersmith and it has FWH as a selection for the hop addition so I would guess it is making the proper adjustments.

On the ones I have done it gave a very nice amount of bittering without any "bite".

My experience exactly

Perfect! That's what I was shooting for. Thanks

Yes, it's a bittering addition. You're going to boil it for at least an hour, right?
It's true about it removing the "bite". That's why I went back to a standard 60 min addition, cause I missed the "bite"

Yes, it's a bittering addition. You're going to boil it for at least an hour, right?
It's true about it removing the "bite". That's why I went back to a standard 60 min addition, cause I missed the "bite"

Sometimes the "bite" depends on the hop. Some are harsh and benefit from a FWH, others are better with the "bite".

It was a 60 minute boil. They got about 30-40 minutes of steep time before the boil started.

It was just a SMaSH because I've never used mosaic before and I'd never FWH'd so I figured I i'd try both at the same time. Personally I like IPAs without a huge bite so it might just work out.

you're not going to get any flavor from a fwh its strictly for bittering. The thought is that it produces a more smooth less harsh bitterness, Brulosopher just did an exbeeriment that basically concluded there is not much of a difference.

Back