Future proof wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgreene820

Reaction score
I'm using the Grainfather right now, but I'd like a 20 amp line. In fact, I was thinking of running 10 gauge-3 wire to my panel, leaving a conductor unused, but available if I want to upgrade to a 240V system (Breweasy, maybe?)

Anyone see any problems with that approach?

Steve

No issues with that approach, it is a good way to avoid a headache in the future. Just make sure you run wire that gives you enough play in conductor size for your future plans (coil power output/wattage, batch size). Dunno what batch size you would run in the future, but for 10 gallons, 240v with 3750w coil on a 20 amp, 10-3NMB is what you want.

is this the us 120v grainfather version, on a 15 amp circuit? reason i ask is that a standard receptacle will not accept #10 conductors. you will need to use a 'pigtail' in the receptacle box to transition from #10 to #12 (15 amp or 20 amp circuit) or #14 (15 amp circuit). not a big deal but something to keep in mind, those extra conductors/wirenuts in a small box get annoying.

but to your main point, you'll definitely want to run the larger conductors if you have any schemes/dreams of going bigger in the future. not sure what the install would be but certainly easier to install conduit, repair drywall, etc. once rather than twice.

Latest posts

Back