Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mildly amusing story. Someone was drinking a Shock Top pretzel beer around the poker table the other night.

Me: Hey how is that beer? I've never had it before.
Drinker: Actually it isn't too bad
Other guy: Pretzel beer? I bet they added all kinds of crap to that stuff
Drinker: (reading label) Belgian style wheat ale brewed with spices and caramel malt and w-
Other Guy: Caramel Malt huh? Yup, thought so.

To be fair, they almost certainly added all kinds of crap, but caramel malt =/= odd addition.
You may now begin the "well actuallys" :p

Mildly amusing story. Someone was drinking a Shock Top pretzel beer around the poker table the other night.

Drinker: (reading label) Belgian style wheat ale brewed with spices and caramel malt and w-

To be fair, they almost certainly added all kinds of crap, but caramel malt =/= odd addition.

Did you taste it? It sounds pretty interesting.

not a "well actually..." but an "also funny..."

idiot foodbabe freaks out because she thinks "caramel/crystal for coloring" equals "caramel coloring" and causes cancer

not a "well actually..." but an "also funny..."

idiot foodbabe freaks out because she thinks "caramel/crystal for coloring" equals "caramel coloring" and causes cancer

I don't know much about caramel/crystal for colouring, but I have heard that the caramel colouring in Pepsi/Coke/all dark pop does cause pancreas cancer.

Life causes cancer

Well, I have experienced life with and without cancer. I much prefer without. But I am thoroughly convinced that health food nuts are out to starve us all to death, therefore I eat and drink what I want. I prefer to enjoy my life and would prefer to die of cancer than starvation out of a fear of cancer.

The same goes for a heart healthy diet. It is guaranteed that, if you stick to a heart healthy diet, you will starve to death before your next heart attack!

Can't say I did but it's on my list. What I gathered from the reviews say it smells like pretzel but the taste misses the mark.

I'd have to disagree. I know taste is subjective to the individual but I've tried it and thought it tasted like the brown crunchy part of a hard pretzel. Again your results may vary.

Life causes cancer

This is truer than you probably think; current theories hold that in a given year, in the absence of an major carcinogens, the average individual develops between 2 and 5 neoplastic cells a year. It's only when the immune system is unable to find and eliminate them that they develop into a life-threatening disease.

In fact, the rise in cancer deaths is mainly due to improved medicine, hygiene, and nutrition. Throughout most of history, most people susceptible to cancers would die of some infectious disease long before cancer would have time to become lethal. Similarly, the increased number of people living with diabetes and asthma is mainly a reflection of them not dying from them in early childhood. Autism? We literally don't have a clue as to how prevelent it was before the 1980s, because hardly any psychologists were aware of it until then - people with the more serious form of the condition were simply considered 'mentally deficient' with no further clarification, while those on the less severe part of the autistic spectrum were just considered weird or insane.

Anyway, this definitely isn't funny, so moving on...

This is truer than you probably think

quite aware how true it is, agree with everything you've said

wondering if, living in Norcross, you've ever eaten at The Bleu House Cafe?

used to live in Chamblee & worked for the owner when she owned Mo's Pizza years ago

just drummin' up business for her

oh, and funny overheard about beer: some idiot in this thread called it "Goose Island Bourbon County BREAKFAST Stout"

quite aware how true it is, agree with everything you've said

oh, and funny overheard about beer: some idiot in this thread called it "Goose Island Bourbon County BREAKFAST Stout"

Well, I'm sure he won't be dumb enough to show his face 'round here, again.

My aunt tasted my Vandal Eyes PA this Thanksgiving and described in detail how it reminded her of the taste you get in your mouth after you have vomited recently.

In other news, everyone else, even non-IPA or hoppy beer lovers, have really enjoyed it.

Me: I'm going to bottle the red beer tomorrow morning so the closet will be free.
SWMBO: so, can I serve any tonight to the guests?
Me: No, no you cannot.

Me: I'm going to bottle the red beer tomorrow morning so the closet will be free.
SWMBO: so, can I serve any tonight to the guests?
Me: No, no you cannot.

The appropriate response should have been "Do they like flat beer?"

Watch these two idiots review Dos Perros brown ale as an an IPA:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONY81qKf7ow[/ame]

You can't make this stuff up.

On Saturday I brewed a clone of this beer so I was looking for information on in. Happened to come across this video. Could not believe what I was hearing.

As a nashvillian, I'm double disappointed. By both the review and yazoo. Though, thier limited releases can be quite good and gerst is my go to lawn work beer, if it's fresh. But I don't doubt that was anything but genuine ignorance.

Maybe they were referring to dry caramelizing?

I dump Werther's originals directly into the FV around the end of primary fermentation. I find they hold together better than soft caramels and don't plug up my autosiphon.

Back