Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Dad once made a crack about a pic of a stack of cases of Two Brothers beer, next to a stack of cases of Lego, at work, that I put on Facebook because the combination was too good to be believed. He called it girly beer, which I really didn't understand at first. He was yanking my chain, but what I figured out talking to him is that it's about old-fashioned notions of class that haven't kept up with changes in real life.

"Manly" is a proxy for appealing to working class men, as opposed to effete rich guys (the middle class barely exists in this construct). That also means it can't be manly if it's more expensive than the average option. It's also not manly if you found out about it in college or after.

TL;DR version. Thinking BMC is more masculine than craft beer is not about flavor or ABV. It's about marketing and class affiliation.

I had a guy at work ask me a few months ago if I made real beer. I asked what he meant. he said, "Real beer. Like Bud or Bud Light." I told him I wouldn't waste my time or resources on something I wouldn't drink. it's not the first (nor the last) time I'd heard the "real beer" or "man's beer" in reference to BMC or their light products. I like to offer those folks something high gravity and shame their masculinity by calling them a pu***.

Dude I hear you. All I make is belgians and barleywines. I'll bet I could drink almost any "manly" BMCer under the table.

I told a guy at work who only drank miller stuff that he should branch out and try other stuff. I recommended Amstel light as his first stepping stone. He never moved past it. Now he's an elitist ass who only drinks Amstel light. I count it as a 99% failure. At least he's not directly BMC, just indirectly. He said it tastes better, and he likes it. I don't understand why people won't try other things. I compare it to soft drinks. There's a cola, grape, orange, grapefruit, root beer, ginger ale, and a couple other flavors. Beer is the same as the label soft drink. It is a beverage made from barley juice. The rest is up for interpretation. I appreciate light beer. I just don't understand the block headed people that think that's all there can be. The more expensive class argument makes a little sense, but still people shouldn't be that boxed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

"Guinness is a meal."

I love when people say this lol. I always want to tell them to try drinking a 10/12% imperial bourbon barrel stout and see if they still feel the same way.

To each their own i guess....

Whenever I hear that about Guinness, I point out that Guinness's calories, ABV, and everything that determines the "heaviness" of a beer is nearly identical to Sam Adams Light.

I told a guy at work who only drank miller stuff that he should branch out and try other stuff. I recommended Amstel light as his first stepping stone. He never moved past it. Now he's an elitist ass who only drinks Amstel light. I count it as a 99% failure. At least he's not directly BMC, just indirectly. He said it tastes better, and he likes it. I don't understand why people won't try other things. I compare it to soft drinks. There's a cola, grape, orange, grapefruit, root beer, ginger ale, and a couple other flavors. Beer is the same as the label soft drink. It is a beverage made from barley juice. The rest is up for interpretation. I appreciate light beer. I just don't understand the block headed people that think that's all there can be. The more expensive class argument makes a little sense, but still people shouldn't be that boxed in.

I would consider Amstel a worse beer than Miller Lite. So you actually guided him to worse drinking.

Whenever I hear that about Guinness, I point out that Guinness's calories, ABV, and everything that determines the "heaviness" of a beer is nearly identical to Sam Adams Light.

But... but... but it's... dark. Like, really, really dark.

dark beer = liquid bread

It's dark.... because of all the hops.

I would consider Amstel a worse beer than Miller Lite. So you actually guided him to worse drinking.

I don't have a problem with Amstel. I was trying to move him out of his comfort zone, which I did, just not far enough.

He needs to step up to Stella! Lol

I saw on a marquee in Texas: "We've got beer colder than your ex's heart" I loled at that one driving down the road.

Okay, it's not that funny, but I was in a restaurant in Princess Anne Md last week. I asked what they had on tap. Among the answers was "Dogfish Head". I asked which, she didn't know. I went to the bar, they didn't know. I asked for a sample, the bartender was puzzled, and had to get permission from the manager. I decided it was 60 minute, and ordered one. The nice young waitress also told me that they had "Pretty much every bottled beer. We have everything we've ever been asked for." My two brothers grinned at that. But I didn't test them. I just enjoyed my beer and a nice meal. And realized that craft beer still has room to grow.

Okay, it's not that funny, but I was in a restaurant in Princess Anne Md last week. I asked what they had on tap. Among the answers was "Dogfish Head". I asked which, she didn't know. I went to the bar, they didn't know. I asked for a sample, the bartender was puzzled, and had to get permission from the manager. I decided it was 60 minute, and ordered one. The nice young waitress also told me that they had "Pretty much every bottled beer. We have everything we've ever been asked for." My two brothers grinned at that. But I didn't test them. I just enjoyed my beer and a nice meal. And realized that craft beer still has room to grow.

I don't know, I think that's pretty hilarious haha.

I'm reminded of an "Irish" pub around my old stomping grounds that had a menu of typical bar food (fries, wings, pizza...nothing Irish to speak of) and a plethora of beer to choose from (Bud, Miller, Coors, Guinness and Yuengling).
I guess having Guinness (on tap!)=Irish.

More than 5 beers in bottles = "pretty much every bottled beer" and having Guinness = "Irish"

At least now we know :mug:

I don't know, I think that's pretty hilarious haha.

I'm reminded of an "Irish" pub around my old stomping grounds that had a menu of typical bar food (fries, wings, pizza...nothing Irish to speak of) and a plethora of beer to choose from (Bud, Miller, Coors, Guinness and Yuengling).
I guess having Guinness (on tap!)=Irish.

More than 5 beers in bottles = "pretty much every bottled beer" and having Guinness = "Irish"

At least now we know :mug:

Yeah, the Irish hate wings. Hate them. (sarcasm)

I saw plenty of people drinking Bud in Dublin.

Someone was talking to me about getting into home brewing telling me about how much craft beer he drinks and how he wants to learn to make his own. So I explained basic steps and equipment and as soon as I expressed the importance of sanitize he interrupted and told me I'm not that clean of a person so I probably shouldn't get into it.

^v^

Someone was talking to me about getting into home brewing telling me about how much craft beer he drinks and how he wants to learn to make his own. So I explained basic steps and equipment and as soon as I expressed the importance of sanitize he interrupted and told me I'm not that clean of a person so I probably shouldn't get into it.

^v^

LOL! With friends like that...

Cheers! ;)

I have never been able to get my head around trends in food or beverages. I consider it to be a major flaw in the human psyche that if someone is told that something is popular, they've got to have it and yeah it's so good! Wine snobs, whoa! now there's a rant I could bang on for hours about. Fashion jerks, stylists etc, probably have no idea what they actually do like themselves. I have nothing but pity for their lost minds. Look around, try things, but never be give a %#@K about someone else's opinion about what is "in''.

Guy at flash caffe

" oh yes try the esb, it's kinda like a tui but English. Or go for the stout, its kinda like the tui, but it's darker"

Sorry to those that have not had the pleasure of trying a tui, come to NZ you won't regret it haha!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

^v^

Did you then explain the difference between a cleaner and sanitizer?! Ha!

"I am so over craft beer. My dad brews and my brother brews all of the time. I am so over all the flavor, I just want some watered down beer like Bud Light now and then."

I was standing in a craft beer store listening to this woman ramble on about her being sick of craft beer and "all the flavor" while holding a couple bottles. I think I'll head over to 5 Guys and talk about how terrible hamburgers are while I shove one in my face!

"I am so over craft beer. My dad brews and my brother brews all of the time. I am so over all the flavor, I just want some watered down beer like Bud Light now and then."

Ugh. I get so tired of how awesome my life is too. My mattress is too soft, my children too well behaved. My wallet is just too darn thick from all the wads of cash! Sometimes you just have to slum it and shotgun a case of Red Dog.

I was standing in a craft beer store listening to this woman ramble on about her being sick of craft beer and "all the flavor" while holding a couple bottles. I think I'll head over to 5 Guys and talk about how terrible hamburgers are while I shove one in my face!

What you really need to do is to head to McDonald's and complain about how you're so tired of eating 5 Guys burgers and all their flavor, so you needed to slum it with a cheap, lousy burger for a change. :)

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408459493.996888.jpg
Saw this on Tui's homepage thought it was funny unless that's how they spell lager in New Zealand?!?!

Hey I don't yuck someone's yum, most days, but when you're holding two bottles in a craft beer shop while waiting to pay, I truly have to question what the hell you're on about!

More ironic than funny. When I first started brewing HMEs, my neighbor gave me a book (Hombrewing for Dummies) He also kind of lectured me on what I was doing "wrong". He used to brew about 15 years ago. A year or so later, I was visiting and brought some APA that I made. "IPA?" he asked. "No, Pale Ale" I replied.
"I thought all Pale Ales were IPAs." he answered. I gently corrected him. I guess there will be no more lectures.

More ironic than funny. When I first started brewing HMEs, my neighbor gave me a book (Hombrewing for Dummies) He also kind of lectured me on what I was doing "wrong". He used to brew about 15 years ago. A year or so later, I was visiting and brought some APA that I made. "IPA?" he asked. "No, Pale Ale" I replied.
"I thought all Pale Ales were IPAs." he answered. I gently corrected him. I guess there will be no more lectures.

don't count your chickens until they hatch.

My 87 year-old grandmother the other day:

She says, "You know they just opened this place in town called a "Tap House". They brew the beer right at the table for you. Why does it take you so much longer?"

I let it slide after a brief explanation that she wasn't buying.

Then she swiped my copy of Zymurgy because it had an article about the Spencer Monastery Brewery and she wanted to show it to her priest.

She says, "You know they just opened this place in town called a "Tap House". They brew the beer right at the table for you. Why does it take you so much longer?"

Then she swiped my copy of Zymurgy because it had an article about the Spencer Monastery Brewery and she wanted to show it to her priest.

Awesome.

Totally wish I had this g'ma.

Does she not know the difference between a priest and a monk. Monks make beer and priests [alcohol interlock on keyboard has been activated, further content is blocked]

Totally wish I had this g'ma.

Does she not know the difference between a priest and a monk. Monks make beer and priests [alcohol interlock on keyboard has been activated, further content is blocked]
my granny & grandpa used to brew beer together. granny gave my dad their ancient hydrometer. my grandpa started sometime in the 1930s. they made beer together up the late '60's/early '70's.

I have never been able to get my head around trends in food or beverages. I consider it to be a major flaw in the human psyche that if someone is told that something is popular, they've got to have it and yeah it's so good! Wine snobs, whoa! now there's a rant I could bang on for hours about. Fashion jerks, stylists etc, probably have no idea what they actually do like themselves. I have nothing but pity for their lost minds. Look around, try things, but never be give a %#@K about someone else's opinion about what is "in''.

Go to bed your drunk

^v^

Latest posts

Back