Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WesleyS said:
I know it's not something overheard, but I had to share this picture my mom sent me of a beer she ordered with dinner.

Yes, that is an orange slice served on a glass of pumpkin ale. And, yes, it appears to be rimmed with some sort of pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon. Total fail.

It could be that I don't like pumpkin beer but that just looks god awful

amfukuda said:
It could be that I don't like pumpkin beer but that just looks god awful

I like pumpkin beers and I still think it looks awful. If I ordered a beer in a restaurant and they brought out a glass that looked like that, I would send it back for a plain glass.

That looks disgusting. Around here some places have Boh-Tinis national bohemian In a glass rimmed with old bay seasoning. Baltimore sucks

That looks disgusting. Around here some places have Boh-Tinis national bohemian In a glass rimmed with old bay seasoning. Baltimore sucks

Natty Boh + Old Bay?

my SOUL just puked

Baltimore is also known for Bromo Seltzer, maybe they should drop some in a Boh-Tini to make it more disgusting

As long as the "rimmed" glass was advertised (and I chose to order it)
I don't mind it as a beertini, or marketing gimmick.

A friend who works at Old Chicago was trying to get us to come drink when she was working sunday night. I told her if she could tell me the difference between an ale and a lager I would go. She told me that lagers are lighter and ales are hoppier. while that is sometimes true, it wasnt the answer I was looking for. I tried to explain the temperature difference during fermentation and the different yeast, but she swore it was the hops. I then told her that Sam Adams made an India Pale Lager, she still didnt believe me. Needless to say we did not go get drinks and gave her much flack for not knowing her job better. shes a good sport tho, although she would not admit she was wrong :D

Heard about this on the news this morning: Hello Kitty Beer

Hello Kitty Beer.jpg

This is from an NPR story:
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST: Next, we go to a wildly successful Japanese export that specializes in cute. I'm talking about the white cat with a red bow and a button nose, whose image adorns everything from school supplies to rifles to RVs.

STEVE INSKEEP, HOST: Yes, our last word in business today is: Hello Kitty - in a can. The Japanese company Sanrio has licensed the pudgy face cartoon cat to a Taiwanese beverage maker which is selling fruit-flavored beer in China and Taiwan.

MONTAGNE: In flavors like: peach, lemon lime, passion fruit and banana - and half the strength of your average lager, reviewers are calling it ridiculously smooth and intoxicatingly sweet.

INSKEEP: And saying it tastes like someone spilled beer in your fruit soda, which may actually be true. Sanrio dismissed claims that the beer is being pitched to underage consumers. Plenty of Hello Kitty fans, they say, are adults.

I know it's not something overheard, but I had to share this picture my mom sent me of a beer she ordered with dinner.

Yes, that is an orange slice served on a glass of pumpkin ale. And, yes, it appears to be rimmed with some sort of pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon. Total fail.

I am I the only one concerned that this glass looks like it hasn't been washed...ever?

thatjonguy said:
I am I the only one concerned that this glass looks like it hasn't been washed...ever?

I noticed that too, but it was the least of what all is going on with that whole picture.

I made some dog treats with spent grains from my brew day this weekend. It made a bunch and I wanted to give some away, so I took some in to a coworker today. She's not a big beer drinker but I usually give her a bottle or two of whatever I'm brewing and she always returns the bottles so I thought she'd appreciate the dog treats.

She looks at them and does a nervous laugh and she says "So how drunk will my dog get if I give him one of these?"

I made some dog treats with spent grains from my brew day this weekend. It made a bunch and I wanted to give some away, so I took some in to a coworker today. She's not a big beer drinker but I usually give her a bottle or two of whatever I'm brewing and she always returns the bottles so I thought she'd appreciate the dog treats.

She looks at them and does a nervous laugh and she says "So how drunk will my dog get if I give him one of these?"

Mum MIL asked the same thing a few months ago lol.

No worse than feeding her dog some whiskey cake. :smack:

This just happened

My friend: want a beer? (He only drinks bmc)
Me: no, im ok. I dont drink bud light.
Him: oh thats right, you only drink fancy beer
Me: no, i only drink good beer

When did craft beer become "fancy"?!

Edit: Also, grabbed a sixer of left hand oktoberfest immediately after this

This just happened

My friend: want a beer? (He only drinks bmc)
Me: no, im ok. I dont drink bud light.
Him: oh thats right, you only drink fancy beer
Me: no, i only drink good beer

When did craft beer become "fancy"?!

Edit: Also, grabbed a sixer of left hand oktoberfest immediately after this
I've had the same conversation almost verbatim.
No worse than feeding her dog some whiskey cake. :smack:
my ex-BIL wouldn't eat coffee cake because he doesn't like coffee. we tried to break it down to all the ingredients, but it just wouldn't sink in.

If it's as good as the milk or nitro stouts,we're def in for a serious treat. Well,that's it for me tonight. got 3 beers left for tomorrow after brewday is done,which starts early. Night y'all.

unionrdr said:
If it's as good as the milk or nitro stouts,we're def in for a serious treat. Well,that's it for me tonight. got 3 beers left for tomorrow after brewday is done,which starts early. Night y'all.

Its like malty happiness :D

...my ex-BIL wouldn't eat coffee cake because he doesn't like coffee. we tried to break it down to all the ingredients, but it just wouldn't sink in.

Huh, he didn't like the taste of coffe, or he doesn't like the effect of cafine? I could understand him not liking the cake if he didn't like the taste of coffe, but if it was the cafine - he'd have to eat the entire cake to get one cups worth :D

mattd2 said:
Huh, he didn't like the taste of coffe, or he doesn't like the effect of cafine? I could understand him not liking the cake if he didn't like the taste of coffe, but if it was the cafine - he'd have to eat the entire cake to get one cups worth :D

No, I think the point was that coffee cake doesn't actually have any coffee in it. They were trying to convince him of this, but he wouldn't believe it because coffee is in the name.

No, I think the point was that coffee cake doesn't actually have any coffee in it. They were trying to convince him of this, but he wouldn't believe it because coffee is in the name.

What, whenever I have made coffee cake there has always been (instant) coffee in it, and also in the coffee icing.
But I could see a mass produced cake using coffe flavour :D

What, whenever I have made coffee cake there has always been (instant) coffee in it, and also in the coffee icing.
But I could see a mass produced cake using coffe flavour :D

some people called it Cowboy Cake or Coffee Crumble Cake. it's just a very basic loaf cake with a caramel like sugar top. no coffee in it. kinda crumbly.

mcbaumannerb said:
Yeah ... Only coffee cake I've had is just a butter cake with cinnamon & sugar streusel throughout and on top. It's called a coffee cake since that is the best drink to go with it!

Same here.

some people called it Cowboy Cake or Coffee Crumble Cake. it's just a very basic loaf cake with a caramel like sugar top. no coffee in it. kinda crumbly.

Thanks for clearing that up - over here coffee cake is a cake that tastes like coffee (because it has coffee in it!)

Thanks for clearing that up - over here coffee cake is a cake that tastes like coffee (because it has coffee in it!)

That's probably not the same as when people generally refer to something as "coffee cake". That would be coffee cake in the sense of chocolate cake or vanilla cake. A flavoring rather than the name of the style of cake. Like sponge cake doesn't necessarily taste like or contain sponges. :D

ChshreCat said:
That's probably not the same as when people generally refer to something as "coffee cake". That would be coffee cake in the sense of chocolate cake or vanilla cake. A flavoring rather than the name of the style of cake. Like sponge cake doesn't necessarily taste like or contain sponges. :D

Hmmm, I guess I need to rework my sponge cake recipe...

Nope in NZ if I offered someone coffee cake they would be expecting a piece of cake that tasted like coffee not some random cake that I should have offered them a coffee to go along with it :D
I understand that what is refered to as coffee cake in the US is not the same thing though, and if I asked for coffee cake in the US I should not expect it to taste like coffee.
Coffee stouts on the other hand, although do not have to contain coffee should have a flavour/aroma the reminds me of coffee... (had to bring this back to beer somehow:mug:)
By the way my first hit on google when searching for "coffee cake" http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8421/coffee-cake

Nope in NZ if I offered someone coffee cake they would be expecting a piece of cake that tasted like coffee not some random cake that I should have offered them a coffee to go along with it :D
I understand that what is refered to as coffee cake in the US is not the same thing though, and if I asked for coffee cake in the US I should not expect it to taste like coffee.
Coffee stouts on the other hand, although do not have to contain coffee should have a flavour/aroma the reminds me of coffee... (had to bring this back to beer somehow:mug:)

Well, that explains it. You're in NZ. You have to expect strange things from people who live their lives hanging upside down like that. ;)

Well, that explains it. You're in NZ. You have to expect strange things from people who live their lives hanging upside down like that. ;)

hahahaha, can we still blame it on the ties to the old empire that you guys broke a long time ago? :D

The best was my step dad telling me " why do you keep trying to make beer just buy a case of Bud and call it a day " Meanwhile there's two carboys bubbling away !

Back