Funny Brewing Mishap (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lebucheron

Reaction score
I have 2 small rabbits as pets. Although they are fairly good and well-behaved they can't be trusted upstairs when we're not around so while I'm at work they live in our 6ft crawlspace/basement.
Yesterday I brewed a basic cooper's Canadian blonde ale but tried a Danstar Windsor yeast for the first time (instead of the cooper's yeast).
Just came home from lunch and who should greet me by the basement door but my rabbits... who look like they just jumped into a pool!

]

I guess I had my first blow-out and the beer rained from the heavens for my little beer-loving pets.

Now I put this brew (which was still erupting like a 4th grade science fair volcano) into a tupperware tub. No more sticky rabbits!

The real problem looks like you have way too much liquid in your carboy, you don't have enough headspace. Either make batches 1 gal less or get a larger carboy. I usually use 6.5 gal carboy and 5 gal batches rarely volcano.

I used to have a couple of house rabbits, and they loved beer. Fun pets, and I liked the look visitors gave us when a rabbit met them at the door.

I used to have a couple of house rabbits, and they loved beer. Fun pets, and I liked the look visitors gave us when a rabbit met them at the door.

Haha, yeah that's the best. People are amazed that they come when I call them too. The best is letting them drink the last little drops of beer out of my glass. They just shove their little heads in there, too funny. But now I have to put them downstairs before I enjoy a glass if I don't' want them coming up and begging the whole time...

The real problem looks like you have way too much liquid in your carboy, you don't have enough headspace. Either make batches 1 gal less or get a larger carboy. I usually use 6.5 gal carboy and 5 gal batches rarely volcano.
Yeah definitely, The carboy is a "6 gallon" carboy, but I'm assuming it's meant for secondaries of 6 gallon (23L) batches. Oh well, live and learn.
btw the whole 6gal(Imp) vs 5gal(US) thing is annoying...

Back