Funky Twang v2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickettj

Reaction score
Apparently I was overly insensitive to the hop heads by saying that I don't like highly citrusy/pine flavored beers and it led to a completely out of control thread filled with people trolling, mud-slinging and such.

For those of you that helped, thank you. I am not writing this to continue a debate on hops or refuel a mud slinging competition. It's an effort to elaborate with new information. The flavor I tasted I thought was hops because, initially, a few of you were right. I just hadn't let the beer sit long enough.

Just yesterday I had an opportunity to drink a three Floyd's beer that I hadn't had. I absolutely loathe alpha king (a 3 floys brew) because it tastes exactly like grapefruit to me and I do not like grapefruit. This new beer was Gumball head. It was definitely hoppier than I like but it was drinkable. So much so that I went ahead and had a second. In the end, after all of the drama (god help me if this thread starts more) it was something entirely different than a hop twang. The hops flavor is almost nothing more than a faint background note (just how I like it) but it still has a funky aftertaste. At room temperature the taste is almost like a stale porter I guess? It was a strong malt flavor but not a good malt flavor something is definitely awry. The two or three that suggested burnt malt, I think you may be on to something.

Anyways, I'll make an effort to update all who care when I do my next brew (next week I hope!) thanks again for anyone who helped.

You can get about the same thing from adding all or too much of the extract at the beginning of the boil. It causes more mailard reactions,or caramelization,commonly known as extract twang. I use 1.5lbs of extract in 2.5-3 gallon partial boil for hop additions. The rest at flame out,since the wort is still 180F+,& pasteurisation happens at 162F. Cover & let steep a few minutes & you're good to go.

unionrdr said:
You can get about the same thing from adding all or too much of the extract at the beginning of the boil. It causes more mailard reactions,or caramelization,commonly known as extract twang. I use 1.5lbs of extract in 2.5-3 gallon partial boil for hop additions. The rest at flame out,since the wort is still 180F+,& pasteurisation happens at 162F. Cover & let steep a few minutes & you're good to go.

That's what I'm gonna try next time.

Latest posts

Back