Fully developed cones plus new burrs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gartywood

Reaction score
I have some fully developed cascade cones like the ones below. They smell like cascade are and papery and have the yellow powder on the inside.

599468_986494335737_791947583_n.jpg

then there are new burs like these:

603462_986494081247_1672244307_n.jpg

Do I want to start harvesting now (ish) should I be waiting until more are fully developed should I wait until these cones turn a little brown?

Pick the cones that are ripe. The new flush of burrs are most likely from shoots that came up after the main ones you trained early. From what I've seen in the past, there just isn't enough time for the little ones to catch up before the weather turns. Your experience may be different where you're located though.

Thanks a lot. Hopefully there is enough time because the centennial and the willamette are way behind the cascade developmentally

I heard people say 6-9 weeks from but to mature cone. So yeh might be cutting it close depending on the weather.

Not meaning to throw a wet blanket on the whole discussion, but once the days have begun to get shorter the plants seem to get into a different mode of growth and their energy doesn't flow toward the developing cones like it did as the days were getting longer. I always hoped to see those little burrs turn into beautiful cones but it never really happened. I promise not to mention any thing about Santa, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy. Hop On!

I agree with you B-Hoppy. The angle of the light and amount of light play a huge role in all plants life cycles. For example this year in Wisconsin it got up to the 80s and 90s in March, which has happened ZERO times before in my 38 years on this planet, and the leaves on the trees and plants did NOT come out until their usual time near the end of April. The weather is important for things like frosts, and letting light from the sun through, but there is no amount of good weather that will sustain a plant when the angle and duration change. Preparation for the winter is more important. Senescence is an inevitability.

Interesting.

Maybe things work differently Out East, but I can say with ample confidence that pretty much everything that has roots between northern New Jersey and northern New England was many weeks ahead of "normal" this year, which had to be due to the near total lack of Winter and a ridiculously warm Spring...

Cheers!

On the other Coast, I'm looking at a near-zero harvest for the second year in a row. This week might be the first time we've had three warm (~80F), sunny days in a row this year. It's only been over 80F three times total.

Dont lose hope for the burs. I can tell you that we have some that transition over daily from bur to cone and are doing great.

Back