Full boil on the stove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iv_hokie12

Reaction score
So I think I want to do my first all grain batch. I don't really have the full setup, but I think I can get a mash-tun pretty easily, and just do 3 gallon boils on the stove. From what I understand you are supposed to do the boil with the top off. If the top is on my stove can handle the 3 gallons no problem. With the top off it really struggles to get the 3 boiling and maintain the boil. If it is just water it can do it, but with a higher gravity wort I'm not so sure. Given that it is so close I'm curious if you guys have any ideas on how to get those last few degrees of heat from it.

Thanks!

With ag is is much more important to be able to boil with the lid off. All I can think of is do a smaller batch or just wail till you can find a way to set up a larger burner outside.

I use ducting insulation and keep the lid on until its just about at boil. Once its there I remove the lid and let her rip. I get a rolling boil very easily with this method in about 30 minutes.

DSCF3891-768x1024.jpg

I use ducting insulation and keep the lid on until its just about at boil. Once its there I remove the lid and let her rip. I get a rolling boil very easily with this method in about 30 minutes.

Wow, is the hot break a nervous step in the process for you?

DSCF3891-768x1024.jpg

Thanks! I really like the idea of adding insulation to the pot. Not sure if I am going to use the same method as you, but we shall see.

Wow, is the hot break a nervous step in the process for you?

Not with a spray bottle of ice cold water. I also found that scooping out the foam with a sieve also helps with no ill effect to the beer.

Back