Full Boil Extract Steeping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwwd6

Reaction score
So I have a few brews under my belt and have just discovered Fermlock-S. It looks like a life saver! Anyways, I typically brew AHS kits and follow the directions: steep grains in 2 gallons, then add 1 more gallon (total of 3) and add the extract and proceed with the boil. Now I am hoping to boil 4 if not 4 1/2 gallons. I'm wondering if I should steep my grains in 4 gallons or steep them in 2 like the kit says and add more water with the extract? Im not trying to mess with AHS recipes and throw things off.

The consensus seems to be to ignore the directions and do the following. Steep in 2 gallons, then with flame still off add about 2 pounds of liquid extract and STIR VERY WELL, boil and add hops at designated times, flame out, add remaining liquid extract and STIR VERY WELL, chill, siphon/pour to fermenter, and top off with cold water to pitching temp. The less you boil your extract, the lighter and clearer your beer. This seems to be a general but hotly debated consensus on HBT.

So I have a few brews under my belt and have just discovered Fermlock-S. It looks like a life saver! Anyways, I typically brew AHS kits and follow the directions: steep grains in 2 gallons, then add 1 more gallon (total of 3) and add the extract and proceed with the boil. Now I am hoping to boil 4 if not 4 1/2 gallons. I'm wondering if I should steep my grains in 4 gallons or steep them in 2 like the kit says and add more water with the extract? Im not trying to mess with AHS recipes and throw things off.

Since AHS kits contain two-row, a base malt, go ahead and follow the directions for steeping. Then, once you remove the grains, add water to get to the boil volume you desire. Bring it to a boil, and then add about 1/2 of the extract. Do your hop additions as directed, and then add the rest of the extract at flame out and cool as usual. That should give you great results.

Latest posts

Back