Full boil 10g batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esabasard

Reaction score
Tomorrow I am going to try a full boil and double batch for the first time. I recently got a 15g pot so I thought I would give it a try. We are doing a kit made for 5g, so we bought 2 of them. Is it as simple as following the instructions but just doubling, ie put both grain bags in while steeping, same hop schedule but double etc? We are going to do late extract additions to keep the color lighter. Also thinking we will start with 12.5g of boil water. Is there anything I am over simplifying or missing in this process?

I hope you've got a good burner to get everything up to a boil... doubling up the recipe should work fine, though if you want to be sure, you can plug the into Brewer's Friend and use the "Recipe tools -> Scale" to be sure... starting with 5 gallons, then scaling it up to 10.

We'll find out in a few hours if the burner can keep up. It's an old turkey fryer and has done great on 3g partial boils.

Well, the burner did fine, we got it to a boil without too much problem. Cooling did not go so well, we have a wort chiller but it took over an hour to get it to 80 and didn't go lower than that. We pitched and put in the fermentation chamber hoping it cools in there quickly enough to keep the yeast happy. Going to need to find a better way to get it cold.

Back