Full-bodied, flavorful, hoppy IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
I have made many all grain IPAs with the attempt to make them full-bodied with lots of flavor and bitterness.

For example I recently had Swamp Head's Stump Knocker and Big Nose IPAs and I love them. And I want to make something similar. They are bitter but they also have a lot of hop flavor.

I think my issue has been that I never chilled down my wort after the boil and I mostly just let it cool down on its own. I am thinking this basically turned all my late addition hops that are used for flavor into bittering hops since the hops are in the hot worth much longer. Would this explain it?

Last edited:
Absolutely. Depending on how long it takes you to go from roughly 212F to 160F, you're going to extract bitterness from the hops. If I plan to use any hops after flameout, I tend to drop to 160F, then add the hops for flavor and aroma. I'm usually down to 160 in 3 minutes or so using my immersion chiller.

Back