FTSS coil cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrawfo2

Reaction score
I'm kind of interested in a FTSS to control my ferm temps. I currently roll my conical into a ferm chamber I built and cool with a window unit. I'm at the point where I need to built it better (and make it look nicer) or do something different. One thing that's always bothered me about the FTSS was the coil and adding another thing to clean with a lot of nooks and crannies. Has it been a problem for anyone?

I have never had a problem cleaning the FTS coil. I just fill a bucket with hot water and PBW, disassemble the conical and throw everything into the bucket to soak for a few hours or overnight. That includes taking the coil and thermowell off of the conical lid, rinsing them off in the sink with hot water and then throwing them in the bucket to soak.

I have never had a problem cleaning the FTS coil. I just fill a bucket with hot water and PBW, disassemble the conical and throw everything into the bucket to soak for a few hours or overnight. That includes taking the coil and thermowell off of the conical lid, rinsing them off in the sink with hot water and then throwing them in the bucket to soak.

How do you deal with the glycol/water mix inside the coil before cleaning?

I don't use glycol. As for the water, I pour it out by holding the coil sideways with one opening higher than the other and blowing through the opening on the high side. That gets most of the water out of it. After 3 infections in a row (not due to the coil), I now also run everything, including the coil, through my dishwasher after soaking overnight in PBW. My dishwasher has a "sanitize" setting which gets pretty hot after the wash is over. Everything comes out really shiny and clean.

Back