Frying food in my wort kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemongrabs

Reaction score
I'm using a propane turkey fryer to boil my wort. Provided I clean and sanitize well, will it be a problem to fry food in the same pot? It seems like a waste to have it and not use it for that purpose

Just do a nice one or oxy clean and make sure any oil res is gone. Maybe dish soap and then one even. No prob to use it and no need to sanitize a boil kettle

If it's aluminum it will be very difficult to degrease without attacking the metal. Stainless, no problem, as long as you get all the grease out, including bulk heads and valves.

I cook large pots of soup in my 8 gallon SS kettle.

Repassivate. Yeah... I totes know that word. Definitely. Could you define it for me? You know, just so i can like, be sure you know it.

My experience with aluminum turkey fryers is once they've been used to deep fry, you'll never get the smell out. Appropriately sized turkey frying pots are pretty inexpensive, so it's just not worth it to jeopardize your brews IMO.

I have never fried in mine but I use it for cooking all the time. Lobsters - YUM!! I just wash it with dish soap and rinse very well.

Passivization is creating an oxidation layer by boiling water in the kettle. It is the gray looking layer on the inside of the pot. This layer keeps the aluminum taste from getting into your beer. Do not scrub this layer off or you will have to get the layer back by boiling water in the kettle each time.

I've used my boil pot for:

Making chicken stock

Boiling Blood Pudding

Boiling Lobsters
(special note here: used lobster water to make a Stout- yum):rockin:

Boiling wort....

"clean well" immediately after any use is the key

Back