Frying a Turkey - Kettle Too Large - Need Ideas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGEduardo

Reaction score
I fried a turkey last year and it came out ok (was too conservative and overcooked it). I plan to do it again this year. Here's the issue:

-Using my smallest kettle (8 gallon)
-Using 30qt fry basket I purchased a la carte
-3 gallons of peanut oil (Costco sized bottle)

Last year the oil was barely covering the top of the turkey that I smashed down into the basket. The kettle is too large diameter and I need some ideas for things I can place safely inside 350F oil to displace volume. I don't want to buy a dedicated kettle.

I was thinking of putting in a bunch of silverware/utensils, but that's probably minimal. What other household items can you think of?

:mug:

How big is your bird? I fried a 13 lb turkey in my 42 qt pot w/ basket using 3 1/2 gallons of oil. It was cooked perfectly at 3 minutes per pound.

Mine is right around 13lbs. I could just fry a bunch of other stuff on the side I suppose...

Good luck! My turkey was delicious, but it's an expensive way to cook a turkey. The oil costed more than the hen!

When I used to fry turkeys a gave up on the basket and put the turkey straight in the oil. Used a good strong set of tongs to pull it out. Worked great. Now I use convection cooking for turkey's. Tastes as good and much healthier and cheaper.

My fryer doesn't have a basket, it has a grappling hook thing.

I cooked a really good bird with just a smidge of its butt hanging out above the surface of the oil.

My advise is to set a timer for 3 minutes per pound. Cook it to an internal (breast) temperature of 150F. Then tent it in tin foil for 30 minutes. It should reach 161F in that time.

Next time around, use cotton seed oil. High smoke point, completely neutral flavor, and- a very stable oil, will not go rancid the way peanut oil does. I have some I kept in my garage, Florida, for three years, used! Just used some of it last week, still good! Ya, the wife yells at me about it. Go to a Bass Pro, or Gander type store to get it.

Good luck! My turkey was delicious, but it's an expensive way to cook a turkey. The oil costed more than the hen!

The oil can be used more than once. I let the oil cool until the next day, and pour it back into the container using a large funnel with a screen at the bottom. I store it in the basement, and it's good to go for another bird.

glenn514:mug:

It will last a year? I gave mine up to local biodiesel scavengers last year...

It can last a while. I don't know about a year. It would depend on storage conditions and how much you reuse it. I guess as long as it doesn't go rancid, it's fine.

I would usually keep my oil in my detached garage and reuse it through the spring.

The oil our bird is currently immersed in outside has been used several times. I store it in my basement...relatively cool. It is well over a year old...and just as good as it was on Day One. I do filter it when I pour it back into the container, but that's all I do to it. I top it off with fresh oil. I'll probably do another couple of birds with it, and then give it to a biodiesel company.

glenn514:mug:

Latest posts

Back