Fruity after taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbeav

Reaction score
I have done multiple brews and all different types, all extract. I keep getting a fruity type after taste. The last batches i did we a corona clone and a stella clone...neith have same ingriedients...the only common ingredient is the water im using and the sanitizer that i am thoroughly washing everything off.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Fruity notes come from either the beer being young(green apple) or the yeast producing esters(banana). Different yeast strains produce different levels of esters and this is usually attributed to high fermentation temperature during the first 24-48 hours.

What type of yeast did you use and what was the temperature during primary fermentation?

Saflager s-23 lager yeast- im mistaken. That was another common ingredient between the 2. I forgot that. They were both stored about 74 degrees

Yeah, that temp is WAY too high for any lager yeast. I would assume you got a lot of banana flavor out of it. I did the same thing when I made a brown ale. My ambient temp was around 71 which made ferm temp like 76. So much banana...

Lager yeast like low temperatures. S-23 particularly should be in the 48-58 degree range during primary.

Saflager s-23 lager yeast- im mistaken. That was another common ingredient between the 2. I forgot that. They were both stored about 74 degrees

You fermented them at 74 degrees? Or the bottles are stored at 74 degrees?

Do you have a stick on thermometer on your fermenter? If you do, what was that temperature? If you don't, get one!

Fruity flavors tend to come from fermentation temperatures being too high for the chosen yeast strain. Most ale yeast strains taste best around 65-68 degrees. For lager yeast strains, like S-23, you want to ferment at 48-55 degrees.

Most likely the choice of yeast.

From the Fermentis site.
Bottom fermenting yeast originating from the VLB - Berlin in Germany recommended for the production of fruity and estery lagers. Its lower attenuation
profile gives beers with a good length on the palate.

Latest posts

Back