Fruit sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoDatDad78

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all
I wasnt sure if this should go here or in another subforum, mods feel free to move. Im adding some peaches to a beer I currently have in the fermenter. Im not sure if I should pour dissolved campden solution over the sliced peaches or pasteurize them before dumping them in the carboy. Im going to be bottling and not sure if the campden will effect carbing or not.

I like the potassium metabisulfite method myself. Just seems like it retains brighter fruit character compared to pasteurizing.

My process: Wash and dry fresh fruit then I freeze to break down cell walls. The day before you're ready to rack onto fruit, transfer the fruit to your sanitized secondary (obviously, it's easier if you've let it thaw first). Mix up 1/4 cup RO or some other de-chlorinated water with 1/8 teaspoon potassium metabisulfite and pour it over the fruit. Stir in with a sanitized spoon or slosh it around iaf you're using a carboy. Cover with a sanitary towel and slosh it around a couple times after a couple hours. Let it sit overnight to off gas then rack your beer onto the fruit. I usually force carb but I've used this method for bottle conditioned beers and it's worked fine.

P.S. Probably easier to measure powdered potassium metabisulfite compared to the campden form. I have both on hand so i usually use the powder.

I'd just freeze the fruit and chunk it up. I use an imersion blender on canned fruit. Put the chunked fruit in a bag.

Latest posts

Back