Fruit punch keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtchyLives

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a keg from my lhbs and noticed right away that it smelled of fruit punch. I cleaned it out with oxyclean and filled it up with my terrapin rye. Apparently not well enough and my beer just got dumped because rye flavored fruit punch is gross. I haven't given up on the keg but need to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Right now I'm soaking it with oxyclean again, replaced all the o rings and poppets. Is there anything else I should do?

The only question would be did you use hot water with the oxyclean and how long did you leave it in there? I hate to ask, but it sounds like you did everything right. I have let stuff soak overnight or when ever I get back to it. Did you also get the tube brush to clean the "out" tube? Looks like you are just down the road from me and we probably shop at the same lhbs. I have got all my kegs from them and they were pretty bad soda smell to begin with. I used PBW back then (oxyclean now) and everything came out well. I think the worst part was the rings at trapping smell and funk, but you got that covered.

It seems better, now. Last time I only let the oxyclean sit in the keg for a few minutes. This time I stripped down the keg and let it sit over night and also left the hardware I pulled off the leg soak in the solution. No more smell of fruit punch.

Now I need to make that terrapin rye clone again because it smelled freaking delicious before it got tainted.

Back