Fruit Juice Cider or Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegas20s

Reaction score
I am a fairly competent beer brewer and have been exploring cider made from store bought juice.

I am looking to make a cider-like beverage (5-7% abv, sparkling and dry) using fruit juice.

Are there any suggestions on what juice or juice combinations would be good for this?

For reference I like the English style ciders (dry with tannins) I make a killer ginger & cardamom cider, I also like my slightly hopped ciders I get from pitching on top of a beer yeast cake. I DO NOT like the sweet angry orchard stuff you buy in the store.

You might like the flavor caraway seed adds to a cider or graff, I've added it several times & enjoyed it every time. I usually use anywhere between 1 & 3 tablespoons in 6 gallons. I boil about 1 cup of water, depending on the amount of seed, and add the seed to it for about a minute & then remove from heat. Then let it cool, add it to my secondary vessel (water & seed) and rack onto it.

If you like tannic & don't mind using additional fruit/juice, you might like what elderberry or aronia berry can do for you. Aronia berry is a dark red/purple, but has a very mild flavor. It has a very nice level of tannin, IMHO, perfect for blending 50/50 with concord grape juice for wine, they really work well together. You can get it in grocery stores:
http://www.rwknudsenfamily.com/products/just-juice/just-aronia-berry

You might enjoy a graff, it's a VERY versatile recipe & is difficult to screw up. Caraway goes great in graff too, as does various other grains. Flaked rye is good, but you need barley to mash.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=117117

Brown sugar or even molasses can add an interesting flavor, but remember, molasses can add a really funky flavor when used in larger quantities. Honey can do wonders for a cider, especially single varietal honeys like orange blossom or buckwheat. Buckwheat honey is very dark & has a very strong flavor, often described as being "mollasses-like" or as having a "barnyard-like" flavor; to me it tastes the way a hay barn smells. I like to add frozen apple juice concentrate (FAJC) instead of or even in addition to sugar or malt extract, Thawed, but not reconstituted; this essentially "juices up the juice." Giving it more apple flavor that it would have by itself.

You might like the flavor of adding dried figs, depends on whether you like dried figs of course, I think figs & apple go well together, the figs can add a sort of "buttery-ness" but not like a chardonnay or diacetyl. Stick cinnamon or star anise/licorice (if you like them), can add enjoyable flavors, so can vanilla (use the split bean, NOT extract). Nutmeg, allspice & clove go great with apple, but use them sparingly as they can easily overpower everything else. Also, use whole or cracked/sliced spices instead of powdered. Contain them in a hop sack for easy removal later. Powdered spice cannot be removed without filtration & will continue to add more & more spice flavor.

Hope this info helps.
Regards, GF.

Back