Fruit flavor from coffee?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffeeturnal

Reaction score
I recently brewed a coffee saison.

Recipe for 2.5 gallons:
4lb Pilsener
1lb German wheat
1lb Munich

.1oz magnum @60 - ~15 ibu
.5oz saaz @15
.5oz saaz @5

Safale BE-134

OG: 1.054
FG: 1.004

This is my second time using that yeast and I learned that I like that yeast after it ages a bit so I left it in primary for ~2 months.

Anyway, before bottling I tasted it and it was really nice and peppery. I'm going to revisit this without the coffee at some point because I really liked this flavor but didn't make enough to siphon some off. After tasting I added 3oz of coffee beans (cranked with rolling pin) that a friend helped me roast. I had intended to leave them for 3 days and bottle. Work and school got in the way so they are left for a week.

Fearing the worst, hoping for the best, I bottled. Upon opening the fermenter I was greeted by a BLAST of super fruity smell (which is mirrored in the taste). This has carried over into the finished beer after carbonation. It had actually caused the beer to be way better than I hoped for, so... Quite a pleasant surprise.

It seems obvious given the circumstances that the coffee is the source of this crazy strong grit flavor. However, the flavor is not at all like any of the notes I got in the coffee used when I prepared it in a French press. Is there something going on here that I don't understand? Or maybe I just suck at picking out flavors in coffee?

I dunno... Maybe I shouldn't question it because it tastes really good?...

TL;DR:
Coffee made beer super awesome and fruity but I don't know why fruity.

Fruitiness could come from the yeast, although I've used it once and did get that, but mine was really hopped.

Coffee should not really bring any fruit flavours, but maybe others have some input on this matter.

But, for me, the yeast could be the one that helped bring the fruitiness in the beer.

Its interesting how our perceptions and senses all work together, influence each other, get all tangled up. Are you able to describe the 'fruitiness' you taste in the beer a little more specifically? Like pomme fruits (apples or pears), or dark pit fruit (cherries and plums), or dried fruit (like raisins or prunes), or tropical (mango) or citrus (orange and grapefruit)? Maybe send in a bottle to a competition and see what two judges evaluating an anonymous beer perceive, without any hints from you.

but I don't know why fruity
the yeast could be the one that helped bring the fruitiness in the beer.
This^, it's the yeast!
The SafAle website said:
The SafAle™ BE-134 is a Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus and is characterized by a particularly high attenuation. This typical yeast strain is recommended for Belgian Saison-style beers. It gives fruity aromas with a slight spicy character (POF+) such as clove notes. This strain will bring highly refreshing and drinkable beers.

The coffee may enhance or accentuate that fruity presence.
Coffee made beer super awesome
Ah, good, mission accomplished! Why complain? ;)

I've had green coffee beans that smelled strongly of blueberries before the beans were even roasted. I often also get blueberry notes when the beans are roasted in a specific way. No idea if this is the effect you're seeing, just providing another data point.

For me Ethiopian beans will normally yield a berry note, especially at lower roast levels.
I've never brewed with any coffee really, but I also get major fruit notes drinking Ethiopian coffee. Had some that gave a raspberry/cherry flavor.

Its interesting how our perceptions and senses all work together, influence each other, get all tangled up. Are you able to describe the 'fruitiness' you taste in the beer a little more specifically? Like pomme fruits (apples or pears), or dark pit fruit (cherries and plums), or dried fruit (like raisins or prunes), or tropical (mango) or citrus (orange and grapefruit)? Maybe send in a bottle to a competition and see what two judges evaluating an anonymous beer perceive, without any hints from you.

I'll have to get back to you on this one. I'm pretty bad at identifying fruits since I don't eat them too often... I can say it was not dark pit or dried. Was a pretty bright flavor. I don't have another bottle cold at the moment because I'm trying to save some for a couple of get-togethers. I'll ask my wife and friends what they would describe it as. I would be curious to send it off, but probably not from this batch since I have a semi-limited number. I'm starting to step up batch sizes now that I am starting to get the hang of brewing.

The coffee may enhance or accentuate that fruity presence.

Ah, good, mission accomplished! Why complain? ;)

I suspect you are right on it enhancing the fruity presence. I just didn't get that taste at all pre-coffee or in a different batch with that yeast.
Not complaining :). Just wanting to make sure I understand in hopes that I can do this again ;)

For me Ethiopian beans will normally yield a berry note, especially at lower roast levels.

Interesting you should mention that because the beans were Ethiopian origin, with some roasted to just past first crack and some just before second. I blended two different beans together. Definitely got a dark berry note in that coffee. Strangely, I don't think that's how I would describe the fruitiness in this.

I appreciate all the inputs :) I'll try to remember to report back on tasting notes once I have had a few more. This is a recipe I want to make again.

Update:
After having my wife and some friends try it and give feedback, the consensus is that the fruit flavor is apricot. Since I haven't had one since I was a very young child, that explains why I couldn't figure it out. I'm guessing that must be from the yeast?

As this sits for a little longer, the coffee flavors are getting more mellow and evened out (all good things). For finishing at 1.004, it has a remarkably sweet taste. I think it must be an "implied" thing from the fruit and the fact that the coffee isn't sharp.

Definitely revisiting this in the future and sad that I'm already almost out (debating if any will be saved for my parents...).

Back