Fruit Beer for BJCP Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylanphelan

Reaction score
I have to brew a fruit beer for a BJCP Competition.

I'm brewing a Ginger Blonde for another competition and am thinking that I'll take some of the blonde base out before adding the ginger, ferment that in a carbouy - then add some fruit.

secondly, i can take some of the Ginger blonde out of the fermenter, add fruit - and have a second entry.

so - what is the best way to get a bit of fruit flavour into this beer? Never tried it before.

Was thinking that mango could be a good choice with the ginger version.

My Blonde ale looks something like this - using summit as the tangerine should play nicely with the ginger. The citrus flavours should work well with most fruit additions.

I have a very good juicer, i can extract the juice from fruit and add that to the fermentor?

3.52 kg Pale Malt (5.0 EBC) Grain 1 64.7 %
0.73 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 13.4 %
0.39 kg Honey Malt (49.3 EBC) Grain 3 7.2 %
11 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 17.1 IBUs
1.22 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -
200.00 g Ginger Root (Boil 10.0 mins) Herb 6 -
30 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 7.2 IBUs
20 g Summit [15.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 7.5 IBUs
30 g Summit [15.80 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 9 2.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 10 -
0.80 kg Honey (2.0 EBC) Sugar 11 14.7 %

Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.006 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 %
Bitterness: 34.3 IBUs
Est Color: 10.9 EBC

would adding pure fruit juice after say the first 3 or 4 days rigorous fermentation help preserve the fruity flavours?

would appreciate any tips.

I would say from my experience making ginger root tea, when boiling ginger be very careful how much you boil. A little bit goes a very long way; and I'm assuming you are shooting for mild ginger taste that won't over power the fruit. I've done a double blonde ale with 2 lbs of cherries that turned out great! Very refreshing spring time beer. I racked my beer right on top of the 2 lbs of fruit sanitized and puréed. Just giving you ideas of how I've done a fruit beer before, not saying my way is the best or only way. Good luck hope this was helpful.

Cheers!

Back