Fruit additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure i would add fruit to the boil, or even before primary fermentation is complete. You will get the most flavor from the fruit addition by adding it after primary fermentation is complete.

I am not 100% sure, but i think adding it to the boil could lead to clarity issues in the final beer. (I could be completely wrong on that one)

I'm not sure why you would want to. generally if you were looking to up the abv you could add some dry or liquid malt. If you want the fruit flavor (and not to start a thread war) you would add it to the secondary (what I do) or the primary (what some others do) to get the flavor you are looking for.

Yes it can, but you really don't want to do that.

- Fermentation will drive off any fruit aroma.

- You might get a cooked taste

- Boiling fruit sets the pectins, so you get a permanent haze.

If I recall correctly, boiling fruit can release pectins wich may/will cause a permanent haze issue with the beer. Additionally, boiling the fruit may/will boil out some of the fresh flavors.

I am all for adding it to the fermentation vessel (either primary or secondary, depending on which you prefer-for me, I choose to secondary with fruit). But whichever you use, it is best to wait until primary fermentation is completed.

Latest posts

Back