Fructose in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaptop

Reaction score
Would it give a bad taste to throw in a bunch of fructose in an extract brew to higher to ABV? And when do I know if I should take two packages of yeast?

Fructose is completely fermentable. It will not add any flavor, but will boost the ABV and dry your beer. Fructose will give you an SG of 1.045 at 1 pound per gallon.

One pack of rehydrated dry yeast will handle a wort up to about 1.060. One pack of dry yeast added directly to the wort will handle a wort up to about 1.046.

Thank you very much for this answer! Really helps me out! If you can, could you convert those values to regular cane sugar?

Here is part of a chart for different sugars. Potential SGs are all for 1 pound in 1 gallon.

Brown Sugar, Dark US Sugar 50 SRM No 1.046 SG
Brown Sugar, Light US Sugar 8 SRM No 1.046 SG
Candi Sugar, Amber Belgium Sugar 75 SRM No 1.036 SG
Candi Sugar, Clear Belgium Sugar 1 SRM No 1.036 SG
Candi Sugar, Dark Belgium Sugar 275 SRM No 1.036 SG
Cane (Beet) Sugar US Sugar 0 SRM No 1.046 SG
Corn Sugar US Sugar 0 SRM No 1.046 SG
Corn Syrup US Sugar 1 SRM No 1.036 SG
Demerera Sugar UK Sugar 2 SRM No 1.046 SG
Invert Sugar UK Sugar 0 SRM No 1.046 SG
Maple Syrup US Sugar 35 SRM No 1.030 SG
Milk Sugar (Lactose) US Sugar 0 SRM No 1.035 SG

Too much sugar might give you a cidery taste, and could slow the fermentation. If you're talking about 1-1.5 lb in a 5 gallon "normal strength" batch, should be no problem.

Adding the sugar after fermentation slows (3 days-ish) takes the edge off any underpitch (within reason) and should improve attenuation, if that's what you're after.

Exactly. It encourages your yeast to eat the "roughage" (maltose etc) before gorging on simple sugars.

Exactly. It encourages your yeast to eat the "roughage" (maltose etc) before gorging on simple sugars.

Ohh so you guys means that I shouldn't put any sugar in the wort UNTIL it has been fermenting a few days? And what was it? Three days or more?

You can do it either way, but your beer will attenuate/dry out a little more, and (if it matters) you won't need quite as big of a starter if you add it after fermentation slows. Minimizes blowoff, too. I like three days as a rule of thumb but it depends on lag time and OG and other things, just do it after your krausen has stopped going nuts (I had a 1.040 belle saison beer ferment out in four days this week so hard rules on time are not so useful).

Latest posts

Back