Frozen yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobg83

Reaction score
My friend is new to homebrewing and he ordered a kit. I told him he could freeze the hops but he left the wyeast pack in the bag with them. Is the yeast salvageable? And yes the friend is me.

I've frozen large quantities of yeast accidentally, then put it on a starter and it took off fine. I'll bet you could get a yeast pouch to start up also if you made a starter. I would NOT add that pouch directly to 5 gallons of wort and expect good results though.

I have two pouches but have no dme to make a starter. I want to brew next weekend. Would I be better off ordering more yeast? It's an imperial ipa btw.

If it froze all the way through, your viable cell count will be low, and the cells that are viable may be really weak. I would grab some new yeast and be careful not to freeze in the future.

jacobg83 said:
I have two pouches but have no dme to make a starter. I want to brew next weekend. Would I be better off ordering more yeast? It's an imperial ipa btw.

Do you have any LME? Any extract will do.

Back