Frozen propane line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpride1911

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just started my boil and the 32 jet burner was acting weird and surging, so I decided to slide the keggle over my 24 jet mash burner. As it is, I need to replace the 32 with a 24 as it's way too big.

So I shut the valve to the 32 and lit the 24. BUT the 32 kept burning with gentle flames. I noticed that the line running to it, started at the regulator was completely frosty. I'd never seen it do this before. This is probably the 7th batch I've done on this stand and the warmest brew day I've ever had. It looked like gas was being vented from the regulator so I decided to shut the valve on the propane tank. BUT IT KEPT BURNING. The 24 jet kept raging away for several minutes, almost bringing the batch to a boil before finally depleting the gas in the lines. I figure a ton of propane froze in the line and gradually thawed, fueling the rest of the system.

Has this happened to anyone else?

IMG_20130303_133132_379.jpg

IMG_20130303_133139_776.jpg

IMG_20130303_133117_772.jpg

Propane freezes at -304 f, so that didn't happen.

I don't know if it's possible but you may have gotten liquid propane in the regulator. did you lay the tank on it's side or have it upside down?

No. I did pick it up while the valves open to set it in a bath of hot water to prevent a tank from freezing. But after I posted this when I shut down at the end of my boil it continue to run for another 10 to 15 minutes again. I ended up having to move the keggle off the burner because it just kept going. And at that moment I have not touch the propane tank since. I think I'm going to exchange a propane tank just to eliminate the possibility of a bad valve or something.

That is condensation forming on your regulator because the temp of the propane drops as it is released from the container. I'm guessing it didn't happen on previous brew days because the air humidity was higher on that day then other days (tends to happen on those warmer days).

As for freezing, not sure what is happening there...

Latest posts

Back