frozen hop (T90) pellets shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncweasel

Reaction score
I found a local CL ad for 6# of T90 hops. Seller states bought in 2010 from Hops Direct and they are still in original air tight bags that have been in deep freezer.

How long can hops be in deep freeze and still be effective in a brew? Should I take a risk and buy the hops?

i know this probably been asked a billion times on here.

Thanks

I have Amarillo pellets from the 2010 harvest that I've been using. Airtight containment, kept in the freezer, never brought above freezing. They're still good, very good; just made an APA with them. Not sure chemically/scientifically if they're as potent as they were two years ago, but you could fool me. My only concern, as with all CL ads, is if the person is telling the truth. I'm sure they're fine though.

BeerSmith and ProMash have calculators that adjust alpha acids based on storage type and age. It'll help you reach the correct IBUs at least.

Latest posts

Back