Frozen Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlopbukitBrewery

BREW, FERMENT, DRINK , REPEAT
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just when I thought my processes were going well.... The Ranco temp controller for my fermentation chamber (converted freezer) broke and the temp dropped to 5F and turned my pumpkin ale into a beercicle . I pulled it out and defrosted it and watched it suck a lot of air (and a little vodka) while it thawed. 18hrs later.... the bubbler is going strong.
What are the chances that the air will cause me harm ?
Is it possible that the yeast survived this ordeal ?
The beer was fermenting strong for approx. 5 days before this happened. Any input is appreciated

My n00b nature makes me think you should pitch some fresh yeast.

I'm hoping the more experienced brewers say I'm wrong though.

If it is "bubbling strong" after it was defrosted I would think you have a healthy fermentation...and no need to repitch.

If it is "bubbling strong" after it was defrosted I would think you have a healthy fermentation...and no need to repitch.

A change in pressure will make the airlock bubble. The airlock is not a good tool to determine whether your beer is fermenting.

I took a good look in the better bottle and could see that things were in motion. As long as I didn't get it infected, things should be ok. Thanks for the links..... If it can happen to John Palmer then I guess I am in good company..
I will update on the final results. Thanks again everyone

Latest posts

Back