Frozen bottles and wrapping carboy in heavy blanket bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbehr

Reaction score
Is this not a good idea? My basement is about 68 degrees and this has kept my carboy about 65 for the past day. After searching for a while this morning I don't really see anyone doing this. I'm guessing it doesn't keep the temp consistent within the carboy and the frozen 2L bottle against it could potentially damage the yeast in that area? White Labs Kolsch yeast if that matters.

I don' have an extra fan to make a swamp cooler but could get one this week if that's the easiest method to keep it a few degrees cooler than my ambient basement temp.

I have one frozen 2L bottle in the left side.

Cooling.jpg

I’d throw the whole bucket into any type of container. A cooler would be optimal, but a plastic storage bin of any type works too. Fill that with water and use the frozen 2L to cool the water. It will drop the temp. All you will be missing is the wet towel and fan at that point. But this method will be a lot more effective than what you are doing.

There's a new fermented cooling product that pretty much IS the same thing. Like a sleeping bag you put ice packs and fermenter in, so you're not too far away.

That was the product we had the drawing for last week.

Well apparently it worked a little too well. After holding at a steady 64 yesterday I refreshed the bottles last night and it dropped to 57. Think I'll try one bottle at a time today and see what happens.

Once you get the temp down initially, it won't take much to keep it there. I do the same thing but toss the bottles in a water bath. One 20oz bottle a day will keep it 5 degrees below ambient temps

I can't believe how well this works. It was still @ 60 degrees after work yesterday so I opened the front of the blanket exposing the entire front of the carboy. This morning it was still 60 degrees so I pretty much removed the blanket.

From what I've read 60 degrees is on the low side for this yeast, I'm assuming I'm ok yet? There is a layer of Krausen but it's rather thing, probably 1/4 inch.

Back