Froze My Starter Wort!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCasey1992

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a mistake while stepping up a starter. After boiling it for 10 minutes, I threw the starter wort in the freezer UNCOVERED to chill it down to pitching temp. A little while later, I realized I had forgotten it in there. When I got back to it, the wort had started to freeze. I then threw it back on the stove to bring it back up to pitching temp and poured it into the flask. I did not boil it. What are the chances I just introduced something nasty into my starter? Should I pick up a new pack of yeast and start over or am i good to go? I'd rather not waste an entire grain bill.

Same answer as the other place you posted this- RDWHAHB.
But I just thought of another question- did you pour hot starter wort into an already fermented starter? Or did you cool it down 1st? And I guess the ultimate question is, what does the starter look like? Is it chugging along as normal?

Thanks. It seems to be doing fine and I only reheated the wort to around 70 F.

My apologies for reposting this. I received mixed responses so I just wanted to get a few more opinions before I committed. Not trying to be a jerk.

Casey, I apologize for the snarky comment. I just looked at the FB post and saw that Denny was worried about contamination from the freezer. If Denny is worried, I listen.
However, I have chilled my wort in a freezer (covered) and not had a problem. I spray the lid with starsan before opening, but that's standard technique for me.

Casey, I apologize for the snarky comment. I just looked at the FB post and saw that Denny was worried about contamination from the freezer. If Denny is worried, I listen.
No worries. I didn't mean to come off so defensive. Given Denny's reputation, his comment concerned me. I may just play it safe and start with a new pack. Cheers!

Back