Frosty freezer in kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmmuellr

Reaction score
I've got a standard upright refrigerator that I converted many years ago to a kegerator. 4 taps out the side, and I was golden.

Fast forward to today, I sealed off the 4 taps on the side, bored two large holes in the other side, and ran beer line through one hole into an insulated box, and put a DC fan on the other hole. Insulated box goes around 5 taps that go through the wall into my bar.

Since doing that (in May) I've had major frosting in the freezer compartment, and the top of the fridge (ie, the underside of the freezer) is dripping with condensation. I could probably unplug and defrost it every other week.

My guess is that my insulated box is allowing basement air into the fridge, which is also getting into the freezer compartment. Is that a reasonable guess? Solution: seal the box better? Temp is set about midway on the dial on the fridge. Freezer is in use for food.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Kevin

Back